Bracing at takeoff

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-1
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Bracing at takeoff

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Fall practice has recently began and my coach wants us to focus right now on bracing and staying behind the pole. Can anyone tell me how my jumps look and if I'm staying behind the pole (not sure what that really means). Also I'm not sure what to do with my arms after takeoff. I know their not full jumps yet but can someone also let me know if my arms are active or not after takeoff. I'm 5-7 140 jumping on a 12-9 150 carbon altius running with heals from 40ft holding at 11-8

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=21xYVMRJa
It's not how high you hold, it's how high you jump!

charlie
PV Pro

Re: Bracing at takeoff

Unread postby charlie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Your plant support is right ! You have what I teach as a BENT ARM ground level PRESS with the left hand! As you move up in grip and poles you will PRESS, not PUSH! The EARLY GROUND LEVEL PRESS should actually move up and to the LEFT! The PRESS up and to the left gets the pole out of the way and makes it easier to go through on stiffer poles!!! You are headed in the right direction!!!!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I will work on pressing up more

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:32 am

Here is another video from my latest practice. I think it's a little better than the previous jumps already but I feel like I my arms are inactive after the plant and they should be doing something but I'm not sure what. If anyone can let me know what I should be doing during the plant/takeoff phase that would be awesome! I'm on a 13-160 sky pole holding 12-7 from 62 (6 lefts but I probably could of done it in 5)

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=lJvMRgO1Z

SCPVPA
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby SCPVPA » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:35 am

Once you come through the pole think about "shrugging" your hands/arms up over your head. Do not go past the vertical until the pole rolls past you. If you go past vertical too early with hands (pike) it will cause you to pike through your shoulders and your hips will never clear. After takeoff you are sitting on your bottom hand and the pole bends sightly low. Just try to keep all of the pressure up. Attempting to open the pole as high as possible. Let that trail leg stay behind top hand, try to create some elasticity there.

You have a lot of good stuff going on just get on a bigger stick. Love the high hands on penultimate step. Love the free-ish takeoff. Early pressure to the top hand is good. Try to always send video from first step...most problems are cause and effect.

Good luck bud

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback SCPVPA! I'm a little confused on what you mean by[quote="SCPVPA"]Once you come through the pole think about "shrugging" your hands/arms up over your head. Do not go past the vertical until the pole rolls past you."can you (or anyone) show me what this is visually?

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:05 pm

SCPVPA wrote:Once you come through the pole think about "shrugging" your hands/arms up over your head. Do not go past the vertical until the pole rolls past you.

That's the part I'm referring to. Sorry still getting use to this.

SCPVPA
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby SCPVPA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:27 pm

You want to think about creating space between you and the pole with both hands while letting your chest come through the pole. Once your chest comes through the pole then your hands start to come in to play with this move. It is tough to explain over a forum post. Hopefully this video can help you compare.

Common mistakes that folks make on this is they see that big bottom arm and they try to place that pressure directly out in front of them. That will not allow your chest to come through your shoulders and move the pole. Always keep pressure UP.

Mark Hollis posted himself doing this exact drill awhile back. I love it when the big dogs give back by sharing these things.

https://www.instagram.com/p/lVQJjyoAbr/ ... y=hollispv

Good Luck!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Ok that makes more sense, thanks!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”