Body naturally turning to the right

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

bbel
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: joe poe

Body naturally turning to the right

Unread postby bbel » Mon May 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Hey, I just started pole vaulting this year, and I have a problem that is very hard to fix. Almost everytime I go up to jump my body naturally rotates to the right and when I land, I am basically facing the runway. It is sort of like a helacopter. I can never go in straight like most people do. Is it because I'm using the wrong pole? I am 135 but I use a 120 pole... lol. Any tips will help, thanks.

J.lay
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Re: Body naturally turning to the right

Unread postby J.lay » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

Plant straight above your head. Move the pole straight up when you plant, do not bring it up in a circle around the side. Also, keep your arms straight in the vault. Most times I see people doing the "helicopter", its not planting straight above the head.

treykristianPV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: 8 years and counting of vaulting ; Middle School and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.27
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks Demi Payne

Re: Body naturally turning to the right

Unread postby treykristianPV » Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 am

bbel, could you upload a video?

There could be a few things going on here, we would need to see your vault to really be able to determine what's going on.

J.lay wrote:Plant straight above your head. Move the pole straight up when you plant,

Planting straight is a good place to start, make sure you're planting the pole straight and as tall as possible. Also working on swinging to get inverted so that you're in control of your own body will help.

But still I would recommend getting a video up so we can see exactly whats's happening.

-Trey
You only get as much as what you work for.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”