Invert, Failing to Invert

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Alex.SpartansPV7
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current D3 Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Invert, Failing to Invert

Unread postby Alex.SpartansPV7 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6dlUgREdo

This is a video of me jumping at a 12' bungee, the standards are all the way back, (to make me make sure I'm driving hard on the plant), Using a 12' 150 lbs pole, grip at about 11'8". This is a 4 left approach, just getting a lot of jumps in for this sessions, but even on my full approach, I really don't gain that much more height. I really fail to invert, and am seeking advice on what to change. I've read and watched a number of forums and videos that advise how to properly invert, but I can't seem to figure it out.

What I think is happening is that I don't swing up quick enough, resulting in me not being ready with my hips when the pole begins to uncoil. The difference I am looking for is instead of my hips shooting out, to shoot up. I think my plant and take off are good enough to put me in the position to have a better jump, but tell me if I'm wrong.

I am obsessed with correcting this and becoming a better vaulter, any input is helpful. Thanks.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Invert, Failing to Invert

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 12, 2016 12:52 pm

It would have been nice if the camera angle wasn't blocked by those two guys. :no:

But I can see that you're not stretching on takeoff. Your trail leg is never "long". Instead, it's already bent a bit on takeoff, and then ... [guys are in the way but] ... it looks like you just pull it up into a tuck, and then try to extend.

I don't see you going into a "V" position, but you may be going into an "L" position. I'm not sure because of those 2 guys that make a better door than a window. But read through my advice to McKee on this thread (http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54812), and some of it will apply to you. You don't have the same issues as McKee, but you both need to learn how to swing properly.

And you may not think so, but you're stalling out. You're not landing well into the coach's box. You need to lower your grip a fist so that you'll land further into the pit. Then once you start swinging properly, you can raise your grip again.

You're right in saying that you "don't swing up enough", but what you may not realize is that you need to swing DOWN to swing UP! :idea:

Yes, it sounds odd, but it's true. Search PVP for all my posts about the DOWNswing, with key words: "Kirk downswing". You'll get about 28 pages of hits. Don't put a space between "down" and "swing" or you'll get about 120 pages of hits, and they won't all be relevant.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Alex.SpartansPV7
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current D3 Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.70
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby Alex.SpartansPV7 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:00 pm

KirkB wrote:But I can see that you're not stretching on takeoff. Your trail leg is never "long". Instead, it's already bent a bit on takeoff, and then ... [guys are in the way but] ... it looks like you just pull it up into a tuck, and then try to extend.

Thank you for your help so far.

So I have a follow up question. If my plant foot is under, I'm going to struggle to get a good swing, correct? I believe this is what you meant by "stretched", as from top hand to plant foot, creating the maximum distance between the two to give myself the best opportunity to create a more powerful swing.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Alex.SpartansPV7 wrote: If my plant foot is under, I'm going to struggle to get a good swing, correct?

Yes, if you're under, you won't get a good swing. Or even a good takeoff. You have to JUMP off the ground! And to JUMP, you need a slight forward lean on takeoff. Otherwise, you'll get jerked off the ground.

Alex.SpartansPV7 wrote: I believe this is what you meant by "stretched", as from top hand to plant foot, creating the maximum distance between the two to give myself the best opportunity to create a more powerful swing.

No, that's not what I meant. The stretch is immediately AFTER takeoff - not your takeoff position. But of course, if you get jerked off the ground, then you're not going to have a good stretch. But I had not noticed that you were under. I only noticed that your trail leg wasn't fully stretched AFTER takeoff.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 13, 2016 2:01 pm

I took another look at your vid, and I don't think you're under. At least not by much. You didn't actually say that you were under in your last post - you only asked what would happen if you were under. I just wanted to make that clear.

From what I can see in the vid, you have a fairly good forward lean on takeoff, and you actually do JUMP off the ground fairly well. In fact, on takeoff, you do have a fairly good "stretch", meaning that your lead knee is up, your chest is forwards, your trail leg is fully stretched, and you're driving upwards and forwards. I suppose it would be hard for your trail leg to NOT be stretched on takeoff, if you think about it.

But THEN you start to deviate from "proper technique" (according to the Petrov Model). As I mentioned in prior posts, it is THEN that you just let the trail leg knee bend, and stay bent. This is when it needs to be swung LONG and DOWN before it swings UP. Did you research the DOWNswing threads that I suggested?

I had written in my first reply:
But I can see that you're not stretching on takeoff. Your trail leg is never "long". Instead, it's already bent a bit on takeoff, and then ... [guys are in the way but] ... it looks like you just pull it up into a tuck, and then try to extend.

I'm sorry, but I think I misworded that. I should have said "AFTER" takeoff - not "ON" takeoff. The rest of my advice is sound. Sorry to confuse you.

In THIS post, when I say "on takeoff", I mean exactly that (and I underlined "on takeoff" to make that clear). It's just in my first post that I confused "on" with "after".

Kirk

Jmm22
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"

Unread postby Jmm22 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:25 pm

KirkB wrote:But I can see that you're not stretching on takeoff. Your trail leg is never "long". Instead, it's already bent a bit on takeoff, and then ... [guys are in the way but] ... it looks like you just pull it up into a tuck, and then try to extend.

Sorry to bite off of this thread, but would you say that I have the same problem? Here is a video of me vaulting last week: https://youtu.be/kwdNBepiW9Q

Any advice would be appreciated!

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Sat May 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Sorry to bite off of this thread, but would you say that I have the same problem? Here is a video of me vaulting last week: https://youtu.be/kwdNBepiW9Q

Any advice would be appreciated!

Do yourself (and the original poster) a favor - repost your video in the "Video Review" section. You'll get more personalized advice there. No need to ask us to compare you to someone else's video and issues.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”