Pole Vault Problem (FHSAA)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

grahamcoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Coach/High School Coach/Certified
Lifetime Best: 10'7
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jen Schur

Pole Vault Problem (FHSAA)

Unread postby grahamcoach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:29 am

Dear Community,

Question for you? There is a lack of coaches of the Vault in the area I currently live in and therefore the school I am at doesn't have pole vault mats. I have a huge amount of interest and am looking at options for us to start a program. The neighboring school that isn't in the same classification as us does have equipment but doesn't have a coach. Is there any Rule via FHSAA that states you cannot coach 2 schools at once (I'd be the only coach on this side of the county). From my reading of the manual its allowed as long as they practice at different times and not together?

Suggestions?

mzsvaulter
PV Newbie

Re: Pole Vault Problem (FHSAA)

Unread postby mzsvaulter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:36 pm

In Texas, per UIL rules (public schools), the coach must be a full time employee of the school district.

grahamcoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Coach/High School Coach/Certified
Lifetime Best: 10'7
Favorite Vaulter: Jen Schur

Unread postby grahamcoach » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:36 am

Yeah thats not a rule in Florida.

Jbbr78118
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Dial

Unread postby Jbbr78118 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 pm

In Texas you can coach without being a full time employee. You can volunteer, but you may or may not be able to coach at the meets or if you are a retired coach with more than 20 years of experience, you can still coach for the school without being a full time employee per UIL rules.

mzsvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby mzsvaulter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Here is the rule as stated in the Texas UIL Track and Field Manual:

High School Coaching Requirements and Training~
All high school coaches must be full-time employees of the school district. Coaches who knowingly and willfully
violate rules may be penalized according to the Constitution and Contest Rules by the District Executive Committee
(reprimand) or State Executive Committee (reprimand, public reprimand, suspension). EXCEPTION: A retired
teacher/administrator who has 20 or more years of experience may serve as an assistant coach in all athletics and as
a head coach for golf, tennis, team tennis, cross country, track and field, and swimming. (This rule shall not affect
the status of a coach on a leave of absence attending college.) Also, student teachers, while they are assigned to a
participant school to fulfill their student teaching requirements, may volunteer to serve as an assistant coach in all
athletics. Schools shall not pay student teachers for assisting athletic coaches.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”