like it ... or not?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

blazerunner121
PV Pro

like it ... or not?

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:38 pm

assuming that most of the posters here are pole vault lovers and addicts, has there been a day where u just absolutely disliked pole vault?

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:13 pm

Never. There are days when i get frustrated with it but i cant stop loving it, ever.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:12 pm

i don't know what i would do if i didn't like the pole vault

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:38 pm

yea, it's kinda hard to ever hate the event. I get frustrated with not doing better, and even if I get so frustrated I don't feel like attending practice, I still go and vault.
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:14 am

I love the sport but I hate planting the pole :(

Lane summed it up best last spring, "I've never met anybody who loves every aspect of the sport as much as you do, and yet is so afraid to plant the pole."

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:25 am

i don't know about hating vaulting, but certain meets can tip ya towards the negative end.

golden south 2004.

Saturday:
warmed up, and sat around for 4 hours plus rain delays.
meet was rescheduled for the next day- good thing it was out of town, i mean, had it been in town it would have made sleeping arrangements FAR too easy :mad:.
thankfully, i stayed with a friend, and found a ride back because my mom had to go to the airport that day.
to sum up: i'm stranded in orlando with all of my spikebag and no car.

sunday:
then the meet starts.
i either can't get into the pit during warm ups or went WAY too deep- that's right, i was between poles hardcore.
i come in at 9'6" and am clean... until 10'.
got into my first jump-off of the season at 11'6, and my longest EVER jumpoff, it lasted around an hour and a half, at least.
PR was 12' goin' in

that left a sour taste in my mouth for a WHILE after... and by a while i mean 2 days cause then i went to EB's VAULT STOCK '04 which = ultimate cure for everything :D .
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

hate the event

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:02 pm

Take it from an old guy, pole vaulting does not fall into a "like or dislike" catagory. It is more like a deeply ingrained addiction that will never go away entirely. No matter how many years go by the desire to vault never leaves you!!! :yes: :confused:

DFW-ELITEpv
PV Wannabe

Unread postby DFW-ELITEpv » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:17 pm

No Matter how old you are, pole vaulters are a Great Breed, it will always be in your blood.
After 40 years of vaulting and 29 years of coaching, I can't stop.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

old

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:25 pm

That's a GREAT point! If you think you are finished with vaulting after college forget it!!! There are hundreds of middle school and high school vaulters who need to know what you know. Get involved! They REALLY need your knowledge pass it on... :yes: We ARE a Great Breed !! Show 'em.....[/quote]

superchau88
PV Nerd

Unread postby superchau88 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:43 pm

since it takes me about 45 mins to an hour to get to practice, i tend to fall asleep in the car when someone else is driving because we go to practice right after school. then when i wake up and get out of the car i feel all groggy and certainly don't feel like warming up and pole vaulting.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:30 am

superchau88, you are so right. most every weekend i drive 3 hours to practice with my club team, and when i get there i feel so slow and groggy. one good thing i've discovered is that at a meet where everyone has to travel, you're at an advantage because you're used to vaulting with "travel legs"! there's always a bright side...
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:22 am

3 hours thats rough.. I thought 2 was bad. Definitely know what ya mean about the travel legs which sucks because my run needs work to begin with.

I looovveee polevault practice but i have a hard time at meets. I'm used to stressful gymnatics competitions so i need to make the transition to a better attitude. I've psyched myself out in the past but i guess i should remember that I :heart: pv no matter how well i do at that one meet!
"Let's launch over it!"

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”