Coaches

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Coaches

Unread postby Bonevt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:38 pm

I was wondering how many people get coaching from their hs coaches, and how many ppl like me have just given up and go to other places to get coaching?

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Coaches

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:39 pm

Well, I guess that I am one of the lucky ones. My high school has a great pole vault coach that is really dedicated to anyone who wants to pole vault. Our practices run year round and our practices have high school vaulters from all different schools, masters vaulters (occaisionally), and, during the summer and holidays, college vaulters that want to vault during their time away from school. We actually have 3 coaches from 3 different high schools (the two not from my high school have sons that vault with us) and they are all dedicated, informative, encouraging, creative at coming up with drills, and in love with pole vaulting and helping others to achieve at it.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:03 am

i'm kind of in both categories. you should always try to get the most out of every coach you have. my first coach was AWESOME! i definitely would not be a vaulter if it weren't for his amazingly positive attitude, passion, and especially his willingness to work with beginners. unfortunately, every coach has limits, and you'll have to go elsewhere.

my advice: try to learn as much as you can from every coach you have- school or club.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:22 pm

Im currently having some coaching issues. it can make things really difficult,
My coach is nice and comes to practice everyday, but has little to no knowledge of the vault, sometimes even giving me unsafe advice ie im not penetrating enough, and telling me to raise my grip to make the pole softer
During the summer i go to camps and jump with a great coach at another school, but im stuck with my coach for the indoor outdoor season, which makes it hard to make progress in-season, does any one have advice to help my coaching situation?
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:08 am

MightyMouse wrote: sometimes even giving me unsafe advice ie im not penetrating enough, and telling me to raise my grip to make the pole softer

It appears you are going to be your best help for now. I am personally glad to hear that you know that you need not raise your grip if you are not penetrating, it seems that you have a good head on your shoulders. The best thing you can do, is first talk to your vault coach (is he vault specific, or just someone who watches you?) and ask him if you can see another coach (mainly if he is not a true vault coach and would not be offended by you asking him this). If this is the case, look for a local club that can possibly help you, or maybe even on weekends go to club practices so you can work on what you need. I'm not saying undermine your coach by any means, but, from the way you make it sound, your success is in your hands.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:36 am

I have two coaches one is the Pro Coach who knows everything I should be doing, then the other one is the inspirational coach. So i dont need anymore than them, and im prettymuch the only vaulter so everything goes into me.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:40 am

wacky274 wrote:It appears you are going to be your best help for now. I am personally glad to hear that you know that you need not raise your grip if you are not penetrating, it seems that you have a good head on your shoulders. The best thing you can do, is first talk to your vault coach (is he vault specific, or just someone who watches you?) and ask him if you can see another coach (mainly if he is not a true vault coach and would not be offended by you asking him this). If this is the case, look for a local club that can possibly help you, or maybe even on weekends go to club practices so you can work on what you need. I'm not saying undermine your coach by any means, but, from the way you make it sound, your success is in your hands.

Yah I think you are right on about my problem, the coach is polevault specific, so we cant really push him away, fortunately hes realized his lack of knowlege about the event, and has turned practice over to me. Which has brought alot of responsibility, not only do i have to worry about my work out routine, but of the other 5 vaulters as well, have to set up practice and help each person with their personal technique.

Going to a club on weekends sounds like a great idea, with all the work of running practice, i tend not 2 do the drills i set up, but help the other vaulters with them, If i can jump/drill over the weekend, It would help take the pressure off of normal practice. Thanks for the Idea!
19 Years Old

Coach: Val Osipenko

"Hard work never goes to waste"

Petrov/Launder student

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:57 am

Here are some suggestions for you high schoolers lucky enough to have club coaches nearby.

Off season is a great time to start working with club coaches. There shouldn't be much conflict with your high school coaches, because most states have rules against off season coaching, and most school coaches don't coach off season anyway.

Don't try and miss high school practice to work with a club coach. That's only going to piss everyone at your school off, and they could probably hold you out of meets or whatever for missing their practice.

Don't overjump! When I was in high school I just wanted to vault all the time. I vaulted at my high school every time my coaches would let me, and I jumped with my club 2-3 times a week I think. That was too much. If your school coaches insist you jump there, try and work it out so you are jumping at your school when you have to, and jumping with your club on the weekends. If you work with the club all off season, you should be far enough along that you can work with your club coach once a week.

Remember you can learn something from everyone. Your school coaches might not be too bright, but they are still seeing your vault from a different angle than you are. If they are saying a bunch of stuff that makes no sense, learn to decipher it into useful information for you.

Become a student of the event! Ask for pole vault videos for Christmas. Read as much as possible on this website and pvei.com. Go to camps and clinics in your area. If money is an issue, find ways to raise $$ or work for it. I knew a guy in high school who sold his car so he could get the poles he needed.

Be nice. Learn how to make your coaches happy as best as possible. Don't let your pride get in the way and make you miserable all the time. Smile and nod if you have to. Don't act like a know it all. Even if you know a lot more than your school coach, don't undermine their authority.

Remember that nobody has it all figured out. The best coaches are the ones who realize this and constantly strive to become better.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:55 pm

good advice becca....mighty mouse, those seem to be your best options
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Courts
PV Beginner

Unread postby Courts » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:55 am

I had an awesome high school coach, Robert Schmitt. We are are really lucky at Burlington, but I also worked in Bellingham with Dick Henrie who is also a really good coach.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”