Meet Requirement

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

mjsuggspv
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Meet Requirement

Unread postby mjsuggspv » Tue May 07, 2013 9:28 am

How many meets must one compete in before a state qualifier meet (sub-sectionals)? I have heard one must have previously vaulted in two meets before a qualifier to keep it fair and an incident of such has come up. If you could answer my question soon I would be much appreciative.
"I think that, generally, you need to live with your sport 24 hours a day." -SB

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: Meet Requirement

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

That's one of my pet peeves. I saw three vaulters in regionals who had never cleared the regional opening height all year. They were allowed to jump a lower height at districts just to send a representative to regionals. Two of these three athletes almost got hurt, and it was obvious that they were there only for possible team points.

I am trying to prepare a recommendation for our state high school activities association to address this issue. I am interested in any input you may have that could help me prepare the recommendation.

mjsuggspv
PV Beginner

Unread postby mjsuggspv » Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 am

Two of these three athletes almost got hurt, and it was obvious that they were there only for possible team points.

I looked at the states' rules and some have the requirement others do not. I admire that your trying to bring a reform, I hate it that the head coach is only concerned about points and two of our athletes almost got injured. To me, this is unacceptable as well as unethical. As vaulters, coaches and officials isn't it our job to withhold the integrity of our sport and focus on the number one priority: making sure the vaulter lands safely in the pit. I believe that all pole vault coaches and schools that provide vaulting should get their PVSCB certification and recommend it to head coaches as well. Also, from experience, I believe officials should have the ability to pull a competitor from the meet if they are not vaulting safely (making the PLZ, landing to close to the standards etc.) because that has been my biggest concern.

Last meet, I was working the Men's pole vault district championships and our head coach made one of our athletes start at a height he wasn't comfortable with on a pole he had not been practicing on. What happened? He almost hit the standards and was landing way to close inside the pit. The coaches I have worked well with have always focused on safety first as well as increasing their coaching education. No matter how high they vaulted, they didn't let them stop from learning more and staying educated.

Another athlete has only vaulted maybe three times. Ironically, he's vaulted in more meets than ever in practice because he keeps his pole here at our school. His brother was a state vaulter and has a 14' 180 lb pole, and he felt compelled to use a 6R (I don't know what it is about my county and righted handed guys wanting to jump off their right foot!) holding at the top of the pole. He, of course, could not safely make it into the pit.

Frankly, I have been very disappointed in the coaching ethics in my county lately. Something NEEDS to change. Best of luck talking to your athletic association!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Those rules are set at the state and local level.

mjsuggspv
PV Beginner

Unread postby mjsuggspv » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”