New rules change for the box collar

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

volunteer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, Volunteer
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: New rules change for the box collar

Unread postby volunteer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:47 pm

that UCS collar is not a new design for ASTM standard. products still under development. for NFHS you have some time. No rush needed.

All manufacturers will have one available for the Dec 31 dead line

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Re: New rules change for the box collar

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:49 am

Was just discussing upcoming track season with my daughter (she is head coach for boy and girls program at school she teaches at). Mentioned that she will need to budget for a new box collar, but recommended she wait until next season so everything can be settled- worked out.

Why - HS wording is different than NCAA, NCAA has stated they want the wings - HS states "such padding, If used" - again the word if.

The rub is if the NFHS goes the same direction as the NCAA it will require a box collar that Litania (Gill) has the rights to. The other point on this is, I have yet to see a picture or video of one of these collars that meets all the wording in ASTM standard. The pole slide side wall intersection can not be covered anywhere along it length. The pole tip must be able to "freely" slide down this area.

Someone at Gill is checking on this but have not seen anything different or heard of anything different. So, I am telling her to hold off until all the dust settles. Do not want to plunk down about $600 and then find out it isn't the latest version that meets all of the Standard as presently written.

Not sure what that does to someone who had got one already. Guess it depends on what is claimed and if it can be placed or adjusted to meet the wording in the standard.

If I were the NCAA or NFHS people requiring this I would request the test information perscribed in PArt 10 of the referenced ASTM standard. Gives you a better level confidence that it meets the standard - compared to an advertisement for a product.
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”