Use of raised runway for outdoor track (SC)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Use of raised runway for outdoor track (SC)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

volunteer wrote:thanks for all the input. They are trying to accomplish relocation without the expense of concrete, rubberization, etc.

A raised wooden or alluminum run way just seemed like a great option. It would allow for location of the vault competition anywhere within the track area or anywhere else on the campus.

thanks for your thoughts. Would still like to know if anyone is aware of outdoor raised runways ?

I just feel like in the long term, they will spend more money, and definitely more time, having to replace a runway that is not designed for repeated outdoor use.

I am not aware of any facilities that use a portable runway outdoors on a regular basis. For meets only, sure, but they are usually practicing indoors.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

I designed a portable raised wooden runway a couple of years ago and am in the process of creating a build pamphlet for it. I've had coaches across the country ask me for the plans. I want to do it right and so I've created 3D drawings using Google Sketchup to create the pamphlet. All my drawings are perfectly scaled and measurements are "dead on" as I used it to build my 2nd one. It takes 10 minutes to setup or tear down with 4 people ( 2 people to move one 8' section ) No hardware to connect sections and the seams are as tight as can be with no shifting. Just made a 2nd one for Vermont Track & Field. You should either fully paint the wood or use pressure treated for constant outdoor use for years, thought the biggest issue is the rubber top that holds moisture. I'm looking to upgrade my "basic" rubber to Mondo in the future. I don't know for sure, but briefly looking at Mondo, it doesn't appear water can't seep through it.

Here's a link to some pics of it. I do have a library of original build pics on my web server. I have been pointing coaches to this until I get the pamphlet made since I do want to sell the pamphlet for some club income. Send me an email if you would like details, specs and to see the library of build pics. I do ask that you do not pass around the web link to the library of build pics, again because I want to sell the pamphlet.

My email is on the webpage:

http://www.mansfieldathletics.com/pole_vaulting/ultimate_runway.html
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:07 pm

I now build and ship my runways around the country. My runways are made to be outdoors 24/7 just like my backyard runway. I use marine plywood, pressure treated wood and all stainless steel hardware. I had my original design buried in the ground for 2 years and it was still in perfect shape. Had it at the beach and multiple other outside event locations. I designed it to be 100% portable and requires zero hardware to assemble or disassemble.

Check out my new webpage:

http://www.mitchellprorunways.com

Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”