did i set my goal too high ?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

ttpm15
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

did i set my goal too high ?

Unread postby ttpm15 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:13 am

My biggest problem is that i don't hold the drive phase long enough to go deep into the mat ( my standard is always around the 17-20 inch ) I just run, go to the drive phase then swing upside down right away. If i'm using a pole 10 lbs over my body weight, i will blow through it and landed all the way in the end of the mat. We don't have any pole thats around 15 lbs heavier than my body weight though.
My coach also told me that sometime i let go of the pole too early, probably from me looking at the crossbar. I need to stop do that. Any tips ?

My PR is 11 feet my sophomore year ( last year ) holding around 11'6 on a pole thats 20 lbs over my body weight.
Looking to go 14 feet 1 inches this year ( i'm pretty sure my school record is 14 ft ) and 15-16 ft my senior year.
did i set it too high or it is a reasonable goal ?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: did i set my goal too high ?

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am

Gripping that low your goals would be pretty difficult. You need to be gripping at least 13 6 to even think about a 16 foot jump. That would be jumping 38 inches over you grip which is what elite vaulters do
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am

I think you need to focus less on the height of what bar you want to clear, and more on the nuts and bolts of how you are going to get there. If you're only gripping 11'6, you probably need a combination of getting faster and better technique with your run/plant/takeoff. Do you have any video?

ttpm15
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby ttpm15 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 am

i know that i will have to hold higher to clear higher bar. I'm holding about 6 handgrips down from the top of my 160 pole. I agree that i'll have to work on my mechanic ( drive phase ) to go higher but it is hard to work on my mechanic when i can only pole vault during track season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am

ttpm15 wrote: I agree that i'll have to work on my mechanic ( drive phase ) to go higher but it is hard to work on my mechanic when i can only pole vault during track season.

You're way off base there. Start by watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSah2B6Xnw

bigg24-7
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.01 M
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby bigg24-7 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 am

It's not a bad thing to set lofty goals but in your case you may be shooting for too much. It sounds to me that you're pretty much straight sticking right now. So focus on learning technique. Plus once you get technique down bars come easy, maybe next year shoot for 12'6'' or 13'6'' with technique and vaulting over your grip, then next year the sky is the limit. And never get discouraged. Every 18 footer was struggling with 11 feet at one point in their life. ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”