pole vault shelter drama

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

pole vault shelter drama

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 am

So our head track coach noticed our new steel pole vault shelter was missing today. The shelter was designed by an engineer and built by the shop class and the materials were paid for by the kids fundraising. So I found it pushed to the corner with caution tape wrapped around it. Turns out the facilities manager doesn't like it. He said it needed to be permitted through the city building department (evidently in his world it is a building :dazed: ), is a liability hazard, and said he is going to have it CUT UP next week. What is really going on is he is in love with his football field and doesn't like the grass growing under it. Little does this fine human being know that one of my friends for the past 10 years and fathers of one of my pole vaulters is a Commissioner on the city building commission and a product insurance underwriter also, the superintendent of the school district is long patient and a friend of mine. :devil: They said this won't be a problem and fixed right away. This facilities manager actual told me it will teach the kids a good life lesson if he gets rid of it. seriously!! I'm just trying to decide how much of a life lesson to teach him by letting the superintendent know the full story of what this guy said to me.

I just cann't believe this really happened.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Re: pole vault shelter drama

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Well, It's important to remember that you can't really fix stupid . . .

But I'd let the Supt. & the school board know what the kids have accomplished, and how this person is giving them "life lessons" as if he was even qualified to do so.

if that isn't sufficient, a bunch of angry parents and donors at a school board meeting often works wonders, especially if it's right before contract renewal time or before the paper goes to press for the week.

In our area a new track was built to replace a 40 year old 6 lane one and the new A.D ( who is also the football coach) short-sheeted the track facility, but cheerfully installed new goals on the practice field for kicking practice in addition to his new turf field. This thursday in the local paper described how the school supt. (who approved this guy) was just sacked and placed on admin leave until the legalities could be sorted out. Funny how bad karma rolls back on you, isn't it? :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 pm

You know how it is Robert; if you stay quiet an accident could occur and the loser wins. I think you have to air it out. Good luck and keep us posted. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 pm

yeah I was thinking that he might do something accidental to get rid of it also :eek:
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Kelby GA
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy Scott

Unread postby Kelby GA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am

This sounds like something the head football coach at our school would do. He has his football players take down the whole pole vault pit every football season. Too bad this is my senior year.
No I didn't miss the pit one too many time. I've always been this crazy.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”