Scoring a pole vault competition

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

wesley22
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach

Scoring a pole vault competition

Unread postby wesley22 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 am

Please help me confirm my understanding of the following results:

Vaulter A: 8-9 O 9-3 XXO 9-9 O 10-3 O 10-9 O 11-0 XXX

Vaulter B: 8-9 O 9-3 O 9-9 O 10-3 XO 10-9 O 11-0 XXX

This is a NFH high school meet...Who Wins????

trayoates
PV Nerd
Expertise: College (class of 2017)
Lifetime Best: 17'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Scoring a pole vault competition

Unread postby trayoates » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:23 am

Vaulter A won because he/she made 10-3 on his/her first attempt as opposed to Vaulter B who made it on their second attempt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 am

wesley22 wrote:Please help me confirm my understanding of the following results:

Vaulter A: 8-9 O 9-3 XXO 9-9 O 10-3 O 10-9 O 11-0 XXX

Vaulter B: 8-9 O 9-3 O 9-9 O 10-3 XO 10-9 O 11-0 XXX

This is a NFH high school meet...Who Wins????

Both vaulters made 10'9 on the same attempt, so the next tie breaker is TOTAL misses. Trayoates is incorrect, Vaulter B is the winner because they only have one total miss while Vaulter A has two.

This is all explained at great length in the NFHS rule book, a tool every high school coach should have. If the official said Vaulter A was the winner, the coach of Vaulter B should have filed a protest.

If Vaulter A had only one miss instead of two at the previous heights, the vaulters would be tied, even if those misses were at different heights (as long as they made the final height on the same attempt). If it was a tie for first place, they would have needed to have had a jumpoff.

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:54 pm

ive never seen it done that way. im not disagreeing with you, as i have never read the "official" rules, but some large meets ive been to at UF and the Georgia State meet have run it the way i described. ive also been to earl bell's camp a few times and that was the impression i got. maybe im mistaken

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

trayoates wrote:ive never seen it done that way. im not disagreeing with you, as i have never read the "official" rules, but some large meets ive been to at UF and the Georgia State meet have run it the way i described. ive also been to earl bell's camp a few times and that was the impression i got. maybe im mistaken

Many meets do it WRONG. It is very important to follow the rules that are in the NFHS Rule Book. Ties have NEVER been broken by going back one height at a time.

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:01 pm

yeah i just read the rule book, thanks for clearing that up. haha well you might want to talk to earl bell cause we have been doing it that way for a while

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

trayoates wrote:yeah i just read the rule book, thanks for clearing that up. haha well you might want to talk to earl bell cause we have been doing it that way for a while

You could pick up any of the four rule books ... IAAF, USATF, NCAA and NFHS and you'll see they all do the scoring the same way.
At least you did.. maybe you should show the book(s) to Mr Bell and correct his thinking.

Now, could this be a state over-ride to NFHS rulesor a local modification? Sure but if it were I'd say they would be doing the vaulters in that state a terrible disservice.

regardless, please do what you can do to correct this false way of scoring a vertical jumps event.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”