How high for college?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

PhxVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Fan, Parent
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Re: How high for college?

Unread postby PhxVault » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I support what others have said in this forum that for a male vaulter (or any one event track athlete) there is more academic money out there than athletic. Since your grades seem solid, I suggest you research the schools that you would be interested in attending, see if they have a vault coach and contact him/her to see if they expect to have any roster spots or what your performance needs to be for a walk-on. Even if the answer isn’t what you want, it is good to know where you stand and EVERY school’s situation is different. The best fit for you will be very different than for an athlete jumping higher with poor grades. Based on the info above, I think you are going into your senior year now, so one word of advice, if you identify schools that you think may be a good fit for both academics and vaulting, make sure you apply by the right deadline. Most academic /scholarship money is awarded to students who apply by a given (and usually earlier) deadline and you will likely need to submit a supplemental application but the extra effort is worth it to get as much tuition covered as you can. Good luck!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”