More ways to get involved with pole vaulting?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

JamesPM3
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka, Yelena Isinbayev

More ways to get involved with pole vaulting?

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 am

Hi im a junior in high school in california, and I was wondering what i should do this summer to keep up with pole vaulting and make a better senior year and to spark more of an interest in colleges for myself. So far I have planned on attending UCLA summer camp and Sky jumpers, any other suggestions?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: More ways to get involved with pole vaulting?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:11 am

Jumping at Junior Olympics is a good idea. Go to usatf.org, find your association, and find out what their qualifying procedures are. Generally you start by competing at your Association meet, but I think in a few places you might even need to qualify to be able to compete at that meet. From your Association meet, you have to place high enough to advance to Regionals, and at Regionals you have to place high enough to advance to Nationals.

JamesPM3
PV Newbie

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:09 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Jumping at Junior Olympics is a good idea. Go to usatf.org, find your association, and find out what their qualifying procedures are. Generally you start by competing at your Association meet, but I think in a few places you might even need to qualify to be able to compete at that meet. From your Association meet, you have to place high enough to advance to Regionals, and at Regionals you have to place high enough to advance to Nationals.

Ok, thanks. I checked out the usatf.org association and found my closest association. No junior olympic meets were scheduled yet only nationals so I assume they already happened. I am still confused on the usatf membership, does it include you in events that the association competes at or is it something else like unsurance benefits and more discussion etc.?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:27 pm

JamesPM3 wrote:Ok, thanks. I checked out the usatf.org association and found my closest association. No junior olympic meets were scheduled yet only nationals so I assume they already happened. I am still confused on the usatf membership, does it include you in events that the association competes at or is it something else like unsurance benefits and more discussion etc.?

You Association meet has not happened yet, it is almost certainly in June. I don't know why they didn't have the date posted, but let me know which Association you're in and I can probably figure it out.

USATF membership does not include entry fees to events. You can see the list of member benefits at usatf.org/membership

JamesPM3
PV Newbie

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:34 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
You Association meet has not happened yet, it is almost certainly in June. I don't know why they didn't have the date posted, but let me know which Association you're in and I can probably figure it out.

USATF membership does not include entry fees to events. You can see the list of member benefits at usatf.org/membership

USATF southern California is the association I Am going to join. So upon joining you are informed about local meets and all that kind of stuff along with the benefits listed right?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 pm

JamesPM3 wrote:USATF southern California is the association I Am going to join. So upon joining you are informed about local meets and all that kind of stuff along with the benefits listed right?

So it's the Association you live in, right?

You generally have to do your own research on meets, they don't email it to you. Here is the schedule for your Association. You guys have lots of meets: http://www.scausatf.org/youth/schedule.htm

Your Association meet is June 8-10 at Cerritos. I couldn't find the entry information, they probably just don't have it posted, but you can contact Smotgnd52@earthlink.net with questions.

JamesPM3
PV Newbie

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
So it's the Association you live in, right?

You generally have to do your own research on meets, they don't email it to you. Here is the schedule for your Association. You guys have lots of meets: http://www.scausatf.org/youth/schedule.htm

Your Association meet is June 8-10 at Cerritos. I couldn't find the entry information, they probably just don't have it posted, but you can contact Smotgnd52@earthlink.net with questions.

Yes, I live in Venutra county. Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am planning on competing in college and this is the extra help I need to get myself up there! I'll email the people in charge of the association for any further questions I have with competing and equipment and all the fun stuff. Thanks again!!

ScorpionVaulting
PV Newbie
Expertise: New Mexico HS Sophmore Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
Favorite Vaulter: Dwight Jacobson

Unread postby ScorpionVaulting » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm planning on going to the UCLA camp this summer as well! Maybe we'll be there the same week. :yes:

JamesPM3
PV Newbie

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

ScorpionVaulting wrote:I'm planning on going to the UCLA camp this summer as well! Maybe we'll be there the same week. :yes:

Which week?

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm

There's a group that trains at LA Valley College. It might save a bunch of driving. The coach is really good and a good guy.

JamesPM3
PV Newbie

Unread postby JamesPM3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm

vaultmd wrote:There's a group that trains at LA Valley College. It might save a bunch of driving. The coach is really good and a good guy.

I've heard good things about him. Should I give him a call and ask if he's doing anything this summer?

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”