Pole vault coach with ALS teaches valuable lesson (NC)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pole vault coach with ALS teaches valuable lesson (NC)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 am

http://www.wect.com/story/17412179/neve ... ble-lesson

Never Quit: Local coach diagnosed with ALS teaches valuable lesson

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 12:46 PM PDT
Updated: Apr 13, 2012 12:46 PM PDT

The pole vault coach at Ashley High School, Keith Kopka, was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, two years ago.

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – High school coaches have long been credited with building character and teaching the life lessons that can't be learned in the classrooms.

One local coach is teaching perhaps the most valuable lessons of all—never quit and never take things for granted.

The pole vault coach at Ashley High School, Keith Kopka, was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, two years ago. The condition slowly robs its victims of their motor skills and the average lifespan after diagnosis is five years.

Last year, Kopka decided to make the most of the time he has left by getting more involved in his oldest son's life. So he started coaching Bruce's team.

The same season Bruce set the freshman record at Ashley.

"A lot of things go through my mind, I mean, am I going to see my kids graduate from high school? I don't know," Kopka said.

Even though both of his legs no longer function, Kopka is still able to coach his team through all of their ups and downs.

"Basically we jump," said pole vaulter Zach Maynard. "He tells us what to do. He sees what's wrong and we try to fix it based on what he says."

Kopka—who is the younger brother of WECT's Kim Ratcliff—freely talks about his vaulting experience, but the most valuable advice he gives is something that everyone can learn from.

"Every day you wake up and hope for the best," he said. "I've never quit in my life; I'm not starting now. And that's what I want to hopefully pass on to my children."

Kopka admits that communication skills are not one of his strongest suits, but he is getting his point across.

"I don't look at him like he's in a wheel chair. I look at him as any other coach that's out there," said Maynard.

If you want to help find a cure for Lou Gehrig's disease, arrive at the UNCW track by 9:45 a.m. on Saturday, April 14. The 3-kilometer Wilmington Walk to Defeat ALS event will start at 10.

For more information, go to CatfishChapter.org.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”