Arcadia - Peter Chapman 16-6.50 (CA)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Arcadia - Peter Chapman 16-6.50 (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey college coaches, I hear he's still available...

http://www.pe.com/sports/high-school/hs ... s-mark.ece

TRACK AND FIELD: Murrieta Valley senior sets mark

BY MIRJAM SWANSON STAFF WRITER mswanson@pe.com
Published: 07 April 2012 11:05 PM

ARCADIA — Pole vaulter Peter Chapman launched himself skyward, a Riverside County-record 16 feet, 6½ inches skyward, landed (eventually) and then launched his fists toward the new record and let out a yell.

It was a vault worth shouting about. The Murrieta Valley senior shattered the county record of 16 feet that he’d shared with recent Elsinore grad Richard Leverson, and he did it in grand style, on an Arcadia Invitational stage unlike many in high school track and field.

Before an appreciative crowd of 10,000-plus, Chapman made making history look easy.

“The goal was to really jump high and do well,” said Chapman, who cleared 16-1 on his first attempt, using his usual 15-foot pole, before moving to a 15-9 pole to clearn 16-7¾ on his first try.

“I was originally hoping to get onto this bigger pole that we ended up jumping on to clear (16-6½), so I’m very excited about that.
“Really, came out today hoping to win and jumping this high is just a bonus.”

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Arcadia - Peter Chapman 16-6.50 (CA)

Unread postby botakatobi » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 pm

I have seem him in person multiple times, and would consider him a vaulter with talent to increase his PR at least a foot over the next few years.

He had several good attempts at 16' 9 1/4". I believe that this meet was his first on a pole longer than 15'.

He is fearless, has good speed and is a really nice. As a former D1 coach, I would not hesitate to take a serious look at him.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”