Interesting new rule in New Jersey

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Re: Interesting new rule in New Jersey

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Becca,

Thank you for sending that email. Hopefully it'll help the NJSIAA reconsider this ruling. Unfortunately, NJ is probably one of the least PV friendly states. Between our "6 jumps" rule where a competitor can only take 6 jumps total in a competition, not allowing an athlete jump at all if his/her relay partner does not clear their opening bar, or even just stopping the competition at a certain time even if there are athletes who haven't gotten out yet, our governing body/meet directors care more about themselves than the athletes. This rule was most likely suggested by a coach whose athletes lose to club athlete while many of our other rules are made in order for meets to go faster. I really hope that this ruling is reversed because it is not fair to the athletes, nor to the club coaches who invest not only their money/equipment, but their time in order to make PV in our state safer and more competitive.

Craig Van Leeuwen
Post Collegiate Club Athlete
Apex Vaulting
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Wow! I didn't realize all the restrictions NJ had on high school pole vaulting. Not PV friendly is an understatement. Hard to compare to Vermont for a number of reasons, but I asked if I could attend our State's indoor and outdoor track committee meetings to voice opinions and concerns relevant to vaulting. I was accepted and it's allowed our Vermont HS Track community to better understand vaulting as a whole. It's helped tons of coaches appreciate the event so much more and appreciate all the support my vault club gives to the state. I know Vermont is small compared to NJ and it's probably alot tougher to get involved with the State track meetings, but if you can get in, it's ideal.

Most coaches that questioned or had negative opinions of my club initially, all changed their minds when they saw me lend poles to their athletes competing directly against the ones I coach.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

RoosterPV25
PV Fan

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:14 pm

I should clarify that all of these rules are not enforced at all meets but mostly the invitaional/relays and the "time limit" rule was only at one meet. That rule just sticks out to me because it was enforced at the relay meet that my old high school hosts. For the most part though, the 6 jumps rule and the NH rule are enforced at most relay meets.
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm

RoosterPV25 wrote:I should clarify that all of these rules are not enforced at all meets but mostly the invitaional/relays and the "time limit" rule was only at one meet. That rule just sticks out to me because it was enforced at the relay meet that my old high school hosts. For the most part though, the 6 jumps rule and the NH rule are enforced at most relay meets.

Is that up to the meet director to decide to enforce, or does the NJSIAA tell anyone hosting a relay meet that they have to use that rule? Couldn't coaches just not go to relay meets if they didn't like the rule? Are the relay meets mostly early in the season, or are they a big deal?

RoosterPV25
PV Fan

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
RoosterPV25 wrote:I should clarify that all of these rules are not enforced at all meets but mostly the invitaional/relays and the "time limit" rule was only at one meet. That rule just sticks out to me because it was enforced at the relay meet that my old high school hosts. For the most part though, the 6 jumps rule and the NH rule are enforced at most relay meets.

Is that up to the meet director to decide to enforce, or does the NJSIAA tell anyone hosting a relay meet that they have to use that rule? Couldn't coaches just not go to relay meets if they didn't like the rule? Are the relay meets mostly early in the season, or are they a big deal?

for the invitational/relay meets it is up to the meet directors to decide to enforce these rules but many of them have the same opinion of the PV as the NJSIAA. The NJSIAA only enforces the NH rule for its state relay championship. Coaches could easily just not go to relay meets but most of the weekend meets do use at least one of these rules.
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:38 pm

If someone can get me in touch with an AD in New Jersey who is on our side on this, I have several ideas for opposing this that I would like to discuss with them.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

The reply I got from Don said that his concern was not about advertising, but all "extra" markings on pole vaulting poles. He thinks that markers will damage the pole.

His intentions are well-meaning, but completely misguided and will make the sport less safe, not moreso.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 pm

This is going to be completely impossible for officials in New Jersey to enforce.

Altius and Gill Athletics both do custom wrap jobs occasionally. How can an official determine if the wrap on the pole is original or something added by a coach? I personally wrap all of my poles in custom tape, which has been very effective in making sure they don't accidentally wind up in someone's bag. I also have some poles that were decorated in a unique way at the Gill Athletics factory. No official is going to be able to rule whether or not those were done by me or Gill.

What about manufacturers who write the plug size on the fiberglass before the pole is baked? I can't wait to see an official DQ a pole for that!

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 pm

My friend and I have bought many poles which we gladly loan to athletes from various schools in our area. We put stickers on these poles to make them easily identifiable. We do not charge anything for our coaching, or for using our poles. So the advertising thing doesn't really hold water. If this rule were passed in Oregon, we would probably not be as willing to let HS kids use our poles, and probably other club coaches would feel the same.

The high schools in our area also label all of their poles to keep them straight...not just the clubs. I have a girl who had a hard time remembering her steps, so she wrote it on a piece of tape on the pole. Another girl wrote "FAST" on her pole as a reminder. Yet another misguided rule that hurts the sport of pole vaulting.

Sorry for the coaches in NJ...I like the idea of fighting misguided bureaucracy with organized, respectful activism. Something that can be applied in other aspects of society as well...I helped start a non-profit to protect rock climbing areas in our region, and we have successfully worked with land managers for years to maintain access and avoid closures. Previous groups of climbers who had attempted to work with land managers had always been screaming and pounding the table (outraged and disrespectful to the decision makers)...with no success.

I hope you have success in organizing and getting this interpretation of the rule changed. Thank you to people like Becca and Chris Mitchell who are respectfully working with the decision makers to keep the sport alive.

Tom

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 pm

1.) Branko and all the other club coaches in NJ- keep doing what you're doing. NJ has always been becoming much more competitive in the past 10 years in the pole vault largely because of the interest generated from these clubs.
2.)If someone REALLY thinks that it's advertising, 2 strips of tape over the sticker during the meet will solve that problem, once the kids are done, tape comes off.
3.) I think that it is much more important that the powers that be focus on ways of improving safety in the pole vault, not about a sticker. Who gives a damn what the pole says on it, as long as it has a weight label and the vaulter jumps safely on it.
4.) "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!"

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 pm

So what exactly does this rule state? I understand the part about not allowing club stickers (which makes no sense). However, are we not allowed to have athletic tape on the pole with grip measurements? I need those markings as well as other vaulters do, to vault safely. If someone is used to having a grip marking at practice, during a meet they ca't just change how they vault and figure it out with out markings. I understand some vaulters learn without knowing their grip height, but for the vaulters who do use it, cannot just change how they grip during a meet. It is dangerous and results in lower performances. Moreover, i attend a club that has grip markings on it, as well as a sticker identifying that it belongs to the club. Many vaulters at the club use these poles at states, counties, conference meets and other large invitationals. Granted i do not use my clubs poles at every meet but i do need them for big meets because they are big enough for me to run from a farther approach rather than my school poles limiting me at a five left approach. Many vaulters are in the same position as me, and if we cannot use our club poles at states, the performance results would have an incredible decrease. This rule does not seem to be thoroughly thought through for the benefit of the vaulters. To me, it seems like some high school coach was upset that club vaulters were doing better than his vaulters, and found a way to limit the club vaulter. Anyway, my main question was if anyone could further elaborate the rule about markings on it, if grip heights are allowed but i went on a rant about the stupidity and thoughtlessness of this rule.
Last edited by VaulterChick122 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The reply I got from Don said that his concern was not about advertising, but all "extra" markings on pole vaulting poles. He thinks that markers will damage the pole.

His intentions are well-meaning, but completely misguided and will make the sport less safe, not moreso.

As is, no markings on the pole to show grip height (9', 9'-6", 10', etc) or that the marker itself (ie. Sharpie) will cause damage to the fiberglass?

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”