Kaitlyn Merritt (CA) 12-10.25 National Frosh Record?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Kaitlyn Merritt (CA) 12-10.25 National Frosh Record?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 am

Can someone verify if this is a record? I just moved and don't have Internet at home, it's a pain doing this from my phone...

http://m.ocvarsity.com/sports/margarita ... -pole.html

Santa Margarita freshman pole vaulter Kaitlyn Merritt started her CIF career with a record-setting performance at the Eagle Invitational Saturday at Santa Margarita High.

Merritt set the national federation freshman record with a meet-winning clearance of 12-10¼.

That clearance broke the old national freshman record set by former Newport Harbor standout Allison Stokke, who cleared 12-8 to win the CIF state title in 2004.

Her clearance also put her fourth on the county’s all-time list, trailing only Stokke (13-7), former Edison vaulter Tori Pena (13-2), and former Huntington Beach vaulter Allison Koressel (13-1).

Andy_C
PV Pro

Re: Kaitlyn Merritt (CA) 12-10.25 National Frosh Record?

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Becca,

According to this article:
http://espn.go.com/high-school/track-an ... invite-3-3

It is the new California state freshmen record, eclipsing Allison Stokke's 12'8" mark. The 9th grade national record is 13'2" by Morgan Leleux so Kaitlyn will be chasing for a 4 inch improvement for that record.

Kaitlyn however is only 14 years old and did set a new age record at that height. And this is only the first official outdoor meet of her high school career! Hopefully lots of great things to come!

Just one more thing to add, Kaitlyn is coached by Kevin Magula at the Higher Flyers club in Huntington Beach - same club (and coach) as Allison Stokke in high school. I've spent time with the club and I can tell you that they do fantastic work over there especially with technique!

Hopefully there will be a video of Kaitlyn soon. Congrats to Kaitlyn, coach Kevin, coach Sonny and the rest of the club! Looking forward to visiting you guys later this year!

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Kirk MPV
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter,Masters Vaulter,High School Coach,Parent,USATF Certified Official
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: John Pennel,Kjell Isaksson

Re: Kaitlyn Merritt (CA) 12-10.25 National Frosh Record?

Unread postby Kirk MPV » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:59 am

Video attached with C-Ram & Hergie Officiating :)
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 9689535230
Old Guys Rule

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”