Class of 2012 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Class of 2012 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:22 pm

http://www.morningsun.net/newsnow/x4583 ... rack-field

GHS senior Randi Pierce signs letter of intent to join PSU track & field

MANDY SIMONS/TROJAN TRIBUNE
Girard High School senior Randi Pierce (center) signs her national letter of intent Wednesday to compete in track and field at Pittsburg State University — joined by her father John Pierce (left) and mother Sunny Pierce (right).

PITTSBURG —
Sometimes in life, decisions are easy to make and require no second thought.

Girard High School senior Randi Pierce signed a national letter of intent Wednesday to compete in track and field at Pittsburg State University.

“I am so happy,” Pierce said. “This is my dream, it's always been my dream to go to Pitt and I love track. I am very excited.”
Pierce, a state qualifier both her sophomore and junior years, specializes in the pole vault and the high jump. She established a school record in the pole vault last year at the LCHS Invitational (10 feet, 6 inches), breaking her previous mark.

“I want to pole vault and I might do some high jump and whatever else he (Pitt State head track coach Russ Jewett) puts me in, I'll do,” Pierce said.

She's already shown her talents on the Prentice Gudgen Track, last year in the Girard Optimist Invitational held at Pitt State rather than Girard High School. Pierce claimed individual victories in the pole vault and the high jump.

"We knew she had a ton of ability," Girard head track coach Matt Logue said of Pierce after the Optimist Invitational. "I'm pleased to see her step up and perform like a junior. She's older and she's competing like an older athlete. She's more experienced, more confident and she had a great day in the high jump and pole vault. And, she did well in the triple jump."
Pierce finished seventh at the Class 4A state track meet last May with a mark of 9-6 in the pole vault. Jaimie House of El Dorado won at 12-0 and Maggie Wilson of Iola placed second at 11-6.

On Wednesday, Logue briefly expressed his thoughts on Pierce and what she's meant to the perennially successful Girard girls track program.

“She's a good character kid, a hard worker who's always done what we've asked her to do,” Logue said. “She's not done yet but she will be missed and she will be a great addition to Pitt State.”

Pierce still has one more track season at Girard High School on the horizon.

“I'm still a Girard Trojan right now and I'm very excited for this season and to progress,” Pierce said. “This year, I want to have a new personal record and go to state again.”

Pierce follows a long family tradition at Pitt State. Her father, John Pierce, lettered three years in football at Pitt State (1977-1979) and has served 24 years as a Pitt State assistant football coach. Her mother, Sunny (York) Pierce, played two years on the Pitt State women’s basketball team and earned membership in the PSU Athletics Hall of Fame. Her older sister, Nikki (Pierce) Webster, played basketball at Pitt State and lettered four years.

getvertical
PV Beginner

Unread postby getvertical » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Cami Gilson from Arrowhead HS (outside of Milwauke) committed to University of Minnesota on Wednesday. Cami jumped 12' 3'' as a junior and is a two time state runner up (and a member of GVPV :) ).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:01 pm

http://www.thedailyfairfield.com/sports ... in-harvard

Pole Vault Star Jumps at Chance to Attend Harvard
by Tom Renner (email)
Email

Staples senior Lexie Schachne announces her decision Friday to attend Harvard.
Photo Credit: Tom Renner

WESTPORT, Conn. – Staples High pole vaulter Lexie Schachne officially committed Friday to continue her career at Harvard University. But the process for the Westport teen to end up at the Ivy League school in Massachusetts was anything but smooth.
“It was quite stressful and drawn out,’’ Schachne said after she made the announcement in the school cafeteria in front of family, coaches and a large gathering of teammates. “Harvard wasn’t even an option until January. I had heard from them last year, but then they had a coaching change and weren’t going to be recruiting. There was another change this year. And I called them again, and they said they were recruiting. I contacted him, and it went from there.”
Harvard is acquiring a state record-holder in Scachne, who owns the Class LL indoor record. She also owns the school indoor and outdoor records. “It was the combination of athletics and academics that I really liked about Harvard,’’ said Schachne, who considered several other Ivy League schools and universities in the Pacific Athletic Conference. "I felt comfortable with the campus. I could see myself going to school there.”
Schachne entered Staples as a softball player. She joined the indoor track team in the winter and her career took flight from there. “I tried the pole vault, and I loved it immediately,’’ she said.
Andrew Lawrence, who coaches the pole vaulters at Staples, said Schachne showed an early aptitude for the event. “Some kids have the natural talent, and she had it from the beginning,’’ Lawrence said. “She could do things that other girls couldn’t.”
The pole vault might be the most technically demanding sport in track and field. It requires speed, strength, flexibility and fearlessness. “In a matter of a few seconds, you do 13 to 20 different things,’’ Lawrence said. “It has to happen flawlessly. If one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong. Lexie understood that right away.”
Schachne made huge strides as a sophomore when she set a school record for the first time. “It’s crazy,’’ she said. “When I came to Staples, I didn’t know anything about the pole vault or school records. I never thought in a million years I’d be going to Harvard to do the pole vault.”
Schachne continued to rewrite the Staples book as her career continued. As she did, more colleges pursued her. “Every time I went a little higher, some college would send me a letter,’’ Schachne said.
The process may have played out longer than she and her family would have liked. In the end however, it all worked out for the Staples senior.
“Maybe there’s a seventh- or eighth-grader out there that will see what Lexie has done and say, ‘I want to be like Lexie,’’ Staples girls track coach Jesse McCray said. “Maybe we’ll be doing the same thing with another girl in a few years.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 am

http://mahwah.patch.com/articles/mahwah ... s-with-unc

Mahwah Track Star Signs With North Carolina
Senior is four-time indoor state sectional pole vault champion
April 2, 2012

Mahwah High School Senior Carolyn Edler signed a National Letter of Intent to pole vault for the University of North Carolina – Wilmington Seahawk Track & Field Team.

Carolyn is a four-time indoor state sectional pole vault champion, three time member of state indoor pole vault relay champion team, three time indoor league (NBIAL then Patriot League) champion for pole vault, three time indoor Bergen County Relay champion, two time outdoor state sectional pole vault champion, one time member of state indoor high jump relay champion team, one time indoor league champion for high jump and one time outdoor state sectional high jump champion.

She placed 7th at the NJ State Indoor Meet of Champions this year. She competed in the New Balance Indoor National Championship meet as an emerging elite, placing 10th out of 50 and earning a new indoor PR of 11’1”.

Carolyn holds the Mahwah High School Indoor Pole Vault Record at 11’1” & she tied the outdoor record of 11’ last season.

This indoor season she was named First Team All-League, All-Bergen County and All-North Jersey team for pole vault and First Team All League for High Jump.

Edler's coaches are Rob Pasek, Ben Battles and Rob Parker.

Throughout her high school career, she has racked up an impressive list of accomplishments in the sport:

SENIOR YEAR HONORS

2011-2012 Indoor Season Honors

2012 First Team All-North Jersey for Pole Vault
2012 First Team All-Bergen County for Pole Vault
2012 First Team Patriot League for Pole Vault
2012 First Team Patriot League for High Jump
Mahwah High School Indoor Pole Vault Record Holder @ 11'1"
Qualified to New Balance Indoor Nationals as Emerging Elite
Qualified to State Meet of Champions
State Sectional Pole Vault Champion, North 1, Group 2
Bergen County High Jump Relay Champions
Big North Patriot League Indoor Pole Vault Champion @ 11' (League Record)
Big North Patriot League Indoor High Jump Champion
State Relay High Jump Champions

JUNIOR YEAR HONORS

2011 Outdoor Season Honors:

2011 First Team Patriot League for Pole Vault
2011 Second Team All-County for Pole Vault
State Sectional Pole Vault Champion, North 1, Group 2 with 11' jump, setting new State Sectional Record and tying Mahwah High School Record
State Sectional High Jump Champion, North 1, Group 2
Bergen County Group B Pole Vault Champion with new County Record of 10'7"
Bergen County Pole Vault Relay Champions

2010-2011 Indoor Season Honors:

2010-11 First Team Patriot League for Pole Vault
2010-11 Second Team All-County for Pole Vault
Bergen County Pole Vault Relay Champions
State Pole Vault Relay Champions

SOPHOMORE YEAR HONORS

2010 Outdoor Season Honors:

State Sectional Pole Vault Champion, North 1, Group 2 tying section record of 10'6"
First Team NBIAL League for Pole Vault
Honorable Mention All-Bergen County Outdoor Track Team
NBIAL League -Division II Pole Vault Champion with outdoor PR of 10'6"

2009-2010 Indoor Season Honors:

Honorable Mention All-Bergen County Indoor Track Team
Second Team All NBIAL League for pole vault
PR of 10'6" at the 2010 National Scholastic Indoor Championships tying the Mahwah High School Indoor Record
Bergen County Pole Vault Relay Champions with a new Bergen County & Mahwah High School record of 20'
State Pole Vault Relay Champions tying the Mahwah High School record of 19'6"

FRESHMAN YEAR HONORS

2009 Outdoor Season Honors:
Second Team All NBIAL League
Honorable Mention All-Bergen County Outdoor Track Team
Bergen County Pole Vault Relay Champions with a Mahwah High School record of 29'6"

2008-2009 Indoor Season Honors:

First Team NBIAL League
Honorable Mention All-County Bergen County Indoor Track Team
State Sectional Pole Vault Champion North 1, Group 2
NBIAL League - Division II Pole Vault Champion
Bergen County Pole Vault Relay Champions with Bergen County Record of 18'6'
State Pole Vault Relay Champions with a Mahwah High School record of 19' 6"

More information on Edler's track and field accomplishments can be found at the NJ Runner webpage.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:00 pm

http://www.ardmoreite.com/features/x586 ... th-Sooners

Plainview vaulter Callihan signs with Sooners

By Erik Horne, Sports Editor
The Ardmoreite
Posted Apr 05, 2012 @ 08:00 AM

Plainview senior Tanner Callihan has always had a dream of attending the University of Oklahoma. The pole vault has given him that opportunity.

Surrounded by friends and family on Wednesday, Callihan, one of the state’s best pole vaulters, signed his National Letter of Intent to attend Oklahoma. In four years at Plainview, Callihan has accomplished about all he possibly could in the event.

He cemented his career with his dream commitment. Callihan chose OU over Oral Robert University.

“I came to my final decision yesterday (Tuesday),” Callihan said. “What sold me was that it was my dream to go to OU.”

Callihan has been one of the elite vaulters in Oklahoma since his freshman season. A three-time Class 3A regional and Lake Country Conference champion, Callihan is the heavy favorite for the state title this season after winning it as a sophomore and not recording a height as a junior.

After a disappointing end to his junior year, Callihan said it was a state title or bust to cap his high school career. The 3A state meet will be a Ardmore’s Noble Stadium this year, a place Callihan said he loves competing.

“There’s no in-between,” Callihan said of winning the state title this season.

Callihan is coming off of a strong performance at the Texas Relays last weekend, where he and girls distance runner Alex Davis competed in Austin.

Against some of the best competition in the nation, Callihan vaulted 15 feet, 5 inches in the B section of the meet, placing fourth in his division and 14th overall.

He already owns the Plainview school record of 15-6 in the vault, and Indians track and field coach Johni Bell said Callihan will break his own record before season’s end.

She also feels confident that Callihan will regain his state championship.

“That has haunted him, but I feel very confident he will atone for that learning experience,” Bell said.

“I have no doubt he has the work ethic to go anywhere with those God-given abilities. It’s awesome in my line of work to watch a child develop not just physically ... To develop the self-confidence he’s developed.”

pvaultgrl123
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'0.5
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby pvaultgrl123 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 am

Danielle Steffen to University of California~Davis. :D

http://running.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/ ... th-aggies/
"Imagine yourself vaulting higher in your head, now vault higher than that!"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 pm

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/ ... LASS/58863

UH TRACK AND FIELD SIGNS NINE TO NLIs FOR 2012-13 CLASS
Published 04/19/2012 - 9:05 a.m. CST
Cougars welcome newest additions to track and field program

HOUSTON- The University of Houston's track and field head coach Leroy Burrell announced the signing of nine student-athletes to National Letters of Intent Wednesday afternoon. The group of nine incoming freshman will join the team for the 2012-13 academic year

"As a coaching staff, we are really excited about the class we have accumulated," Burrell said. "Especially with the men, we feel like we have went out and acquired athletes who we think can come in and make an immediate impact. We have brought in athletes who are nationally ranked, with impressive national stature."

"We are really excited about this class, not only have we built a class that can help us continue to stay atop of Conference USA, but also to compete at a very high level nationally."
Houston's signing class now includes six men and three women, and provides the program with a wealth of incoming talent. Addressing a variety of event areas on the men's side, Houston added three new speedsters in Pennsylvania's Erik Futch, Houston's Ahmed Ali and Isaac Williams of Willingboro, New Jersey. In addition, the men welcome Rio Grande, Royse City and Kingwood, Texas natives Alejandro Garza (throws), Joseph Beck (pole vault) and Sean Spiehler (multi -athlete), respectively.

Joseph Beck - Royse City, TX (Royse City HS) - Pole Vault
Currently ranks No. 17 nationally, No. 9 in Texas in the pole vault with his 16'1" vault...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

@FuzionAthletics
Ariel Hayward of Rochester Century H.S signs to pole vault at USC University of Southern California next year!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:07 am

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs. ... 29727/1013

Indiana Tech inks pole vaulter

News-Sentinel staff report of The News-Sentinel
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 12:36 am

Indiana Tech track and field is proud to announce the signing of Ayrton Fineout of Okemos High School in Okemos, Michigan.
Ayrton is an accomplished pole vaulter owning a career best 14-0 in the event.

"We see a lot of potential still in Ayrton," Indiana Tech coach Doug Edgar said in a release. "He gained almost two feet between his junior and senior year and should still improve during the outdoor season. Pairing him with a full time vault coach and the boys currently on the roster, I think he can come in and make an immediate impact at the conference level for our program. Ayrton understands the work ethic needed in the classroom and should be a great addition to our vault group."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/c-trac ... class.html

Terry Batemon
Indianapolis, Indiana
Warren Central High School, Indianapolis, Indiana
Pole Vault
Third in the 2011 Indiana State Meet
Top returning pole vaulter in the state of Indiana
PR: Pole Vault - 16’0”

Coach Helmer: “Terry is athletic and has outstanding speed, both of the components necessary to insure future development in the vault. Additionally he comes from a high school program (Warren Central) that stresses team so he understands the associated responsibilities. Terry is a very strong student who has the potential to become the 'student/athlete' package we want to represent our program.”

Sydney Clute
Greenwood, Indiana
Center Grove High School, Greenwood, Indiana
Pole Vault
Second in the 2012 State meet Pole Vault
Third in the 2010 State Meet Pole Vault
First in the 2011 Indoor Meet
#1 returning Pole Vaulter in the state of Indiana
PR: Pole Vault - 12’ 9”

Coach Helmer: “Sydney has become one of the best vaulters in the nation this indoor season as she continues to improve almost weekly. She is another athlete who is known for her great work ethic and in time will become another in a line of outstanding IU pole vaulters developed by Coach Wiseman. She has the chance to be really, really good.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 pm

http://www.brenautigers.com/SIDHelp/m/a%7C828.php

First Athletes Sign for Track & Field
Fri, Jun 01 - [Track]
GAINESVILLE, GA - Recently hired to start the inaugural track and field program, Coach Rick Ludwig has hit the ground running to sign his first eight athletes for the 2013 Golden Tigers Track & Field team. Fortunately for Ludwig, he did not have to travel far to find the talent he was looking for and though the team will initially be young, it will be evident from the outset that this group of athletes should be able to compete with the best in the NAIA.

Though Coach Ludwig is still laying the groundwork for the program, it has been evident throughout the recruiting process that the program has attracted some of the best female athletes in the state. From pole-vaulters to sprinters and throwers, his main focus has been on gathering the best specialty athletes in the state and the region. Fortunately for Ludwig, he will be able to draw from the current Golden Tigers Cross Country team when it comes time to fill key slots for long distance positions.

Shelbee Carter is from Gainesville, GA, and was a member of the Gainesville High School track and field team. She comes to Brenau as a transfer from Jacksonville State University. Carter will be competing for Brenau in the long and triple jump, as well as, pole vault and sprints. Her athletic accolades include the following:

Triple Jump PR - 38' 2" Long Jump PR - 18' ½" Pole Vault PR - 9' 0"

4th in STATE (2010) Triple Jump (36' 2.25)

7-AAA Region Champion (2010) Triple Jump (36' 9.5)

Coach Ludwig says, "Shelbee is a proven competitor with speed and strength. As a transfer, she will provide outstanding upperclass leadership."

Megan Dixon is from Jasper, GA, and attendedPickens County High School. She will compete in the pole vault and intermediate hurdles for Brenau. Her athletic achievements include the following:
4th in STATE - Megan vaulted 10' in the pole vault at the GHSA State Championships

7-AAA Region Champion, Pole Vault (11'0)

Ronnie McClurg Invitational Champion, 2012 (9'6)

Sharptop Track & Field Invitational Champion, 2012 (10'6)

"Megan is a fierce competitor and natural athlete," comments Coach Ludwig. "I have no doubt she will be a top conference competitor in pole vault and as well as other events she can master."

Alexa Osterloh graduated from North Forsyth High School in Cumming, GA. Osterloh is a multi-talented track athlete and will compete in the throwing events as well as pole vault. Her athletic accolades include the following:

8th in STATE, pole vault (8'6")

Runner-up, Forsyth County Championships, shot put (31' 7)

"Alexa is a versatile, multi-event athlete with superior upper body strength," says Coach Ludwig. "She is able to compete successfully in a variety of events for Brenau."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:17 pm

http://millerplace-rockypoint.patch.com ... ar-athlete

Whiz Kid: Miller Place Pole Vault Record Holder a Scholar-Athlete
Joseph Miceli was not only a star pole-vaulter, but also finished fourth in his class.
By Rich Arleo Email the author July 31, 2012
Email Print 3 Comments

Name: Joseph Miceli - Age 17

School: Miller Place High School - 2012 graduate

Accomplishments: Ranked fourth in his graduating class, Joseph was on the high honor roll for every quarter of his high school career and was the recipient of the award for General Academic Excellence each year. Along the way, he recieved his high school's awards for Geometry, Alegebra II/Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus Honors, Physics, Business Ownership/Marketing, US History/Government and Anatomy and Physiology.

He was an author and artist for Entre Nous, the school's literary magazine and was a member of the National Honor Society, Foreign Language Honor Society and Future Business Leaders of America.

Out of the classroom, Miceli has been a competitve gymnast for the past 12 years. He was a competitor with five Empire State Games teams and a gold medalist on the pommel horse. He was a level 10 state and regional qualifier for gymnastics and served as team captain. His upper body strength also served him well on the Varsity spring and winter track and field teams as a pole vaulter.

Miceli also currently holds Miller Place High School's pole vaulting record, clearing a height of 15 feet. He received the awards for All-Division five times and All-County three times and was a state qualifier two times and the Division and County Champion in the pole vault this past spring. In the New York State Meet for Public Schools, Joseph placed 3rd in the pole vault this past winter and 2nd this past spring.

The recent grad was the recipient of the award for Academic All-County for both winter and spring track and field in his senior year. During his seasons as a Varsity athlete, he was awarded the Coaches Award, Most Improved and Panther Pride recognitions and was MVP three times.

At the Senior Athletic Dinner, Joseph was the recipient of the Scholar Athlete Award and Scholarship, which is presented to the male and female athlete participating in two or more sports with the highest cumulative grade point average. At this dinner, he also was awarded the Ideal Athlete Award and Scholarship,for exemplifying the qualities most appreciated by the athletic department: dedication, hard work, cooperation, team spirit and class.

Joseph has volunteered his time at the annual beach clean up, as an elementary school field day assistant and as a cook and gardener at Hope House Ministries. He has been employed at Fusion Fitness, and as a gymnastics coach at both Vitruvian Fitness and Spins Gym.

He will be attending Binghamton University in the fall, having received a partial scholarship from the university, as well as the Congressional Merit Scholarship. He will be majoring in Integrative Neuroscience with the career goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. He will be on Binghamton University's Divison I track and field team as a pole vaulter, with the possibilty of competing in the decathalon.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”