Class of 2012 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Class of 2012 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm

http://www.newstrib.com/articles/sports ... nois+State

Fredenhagen commits to pole vault at Illinois State

Saturday, January 28, 2012
Share With Friend

Print Article

By Chris Yucus

Pole vaulting has taken Princeton senior Laura Fredenhagen to some new heights during her prep track and field career, like 11 feet, 4 inches off the ground last spring for a new PHS school record and back-to-back medal finishes at the IHSA Class 1A State meet.

Now the vault is taking her to Illinois State University.

The PHS vaulting standout recently verbally committed to suit up for the Redbirds’ track and field program where she will continue to seek out new heights in the pole vault.

Family ties helped draw Fredenhagen to ISU. Her father Charles was a letter winning linemen for the Redbird football team during the early 1970s, and he’s not the only member of the family to attend the school.

“I’ve always wanted to go there since I was younger since my dad went there, my uncle went there and my grandma went there,” Fredenhagen said. “It seemed like a pretty good fit, too.”

Content Continues Below

Fredenhagen, who first tried out pole vaulting her freshman year at the request of former teammate and 2009 IHSA Class 1A pole vault state champion Alyssa Donner, said she never thought the field event would carry her so far.

“I didn’t think much of it really when I started,” Fredenhagen said. “It was just fun.”

What started off as fun led to a third-place Class 1A state medal her sophomore year and a fourth-place finish last spring. Fredenhagen said she’s looking forward to testing herself further with “the experience of competing in D-I (athletics).”

“I think it will be a memorable experience, one that I can keep with me for the rest of my life,” Fredenhagen said. “I wanted to be in D-I athletics since I was a little kid.”

Fredenhagen, who visited ISU in October and again in November, said she knew “since my first visit” that ISU was the place for her.

“(The coaches) were really friendly, and I feel like I can talk to them,” Fredenhagen said. “The pole vault coaches know what to do to improve a kid, so that’s another good thing.”

Before Fredenhagen experiences life as a Division I college athlete she still has her senior track and field season at PHS.

“I just would like to do better,” said Fredenhagen, who sat out volleyball this fall to concentrate on her strength and conditioning. “Twelve feet is kind of what I’m aiming for, but we’ll see how the season goes.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Class of 2012 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/sports/high_s ... ginia-tech

Punter Hughes commits to Virginia Tech
Updated: Monday, 23 Jan 2012, 12:30 AM EST
Published : Sunday, 22 Jan 2012, 2:37 PM EST

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) -
Terre Haute North punter A.J. Hughes verbally committed Saturday night to the Virginia Tech football program. Hughes told Sports 10 he was at Virginia Tech this weekend taking an official visit.

Hughes on picking Virginia Tech" They are in the top 25 in everything I am interested in both athletics and academics. Love the Community! The town is built around the college. The Culture is the right fit for me."

The 6-foot-1, 185 pound North senior is the 11th ranked high school punter in the nation in the 2012 class. The prestigious Kohl's football kicking camp nominated him as a 2012 top prospect.

Hughes has punted varsity the last two years at North. This past season as a senior, he averaged 42 yards per punt, with a career-long of 63 yards. 31 of his 45 punts had no gain or negative return yards. 42 percent of Hughes punts this past season were downed inside the 20-yard line.

A.J. told Sports 10 he is going to Virginia Tech as a preferred walk-on, but has been told by the Hokies coaching staff he is their number one punter heading into next season. Hughes said once he earns the starting job Virginia Tech will put him on scholarship.

Hughes will get a chance to play for one of the premier college football programs in the country. The Hokies have played in 19 consecutive bowl games, that's the third current longest streak in the nation. A.J. will also have a chance to punt for one of the top special teams programs. Guided by head coach Frank Beamer, the Hokies are nationally known for their special teams which is regarded as "Beamer Ball". "Its a complete honor to have coach Beamer as my position coach and the opportunity to punt for him", said Hughes. Coach Beamer even called A.J. hours before this years Sugar Bowl in which Viginia Tech lost in overtime to Michigan 23-20 to express his interest in Hughes.

Hughes picked Virginia Tech over ISU, IU, Ball State, Northern Illinios and Toledo.

The North senior is also one of the state's top pole vaulters, he currently ranks in the top 5 of the sate. Twice Hughes has been an indoor and outdoor state qualifier in pole vault. A.J. said he has coach Beamer's blessing if he wants to attempt track & field at Virginia Tech.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 pm

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x98715 ... -Marquette

Jackson pole vaulter Vinny Martello commits to Marquette
Submitted
Jackson High School senior pole vault Vinny Martello (seated, middle) signed a letter of intent to attend Marquette University. He is joined by his parents Tina and Al Martello, (back, from left) pole vault coach Dave Downey and boys track head coach Jon Mazur.

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

JACKSON TWP. —
Jackson High School senior pole vaulter Vinny Martello signed a letter of intent to attend Marquette University.

Martello made his first trip to the state meet a year ago in the pole vault, finishing sixth in Division I to earn All-Ohio honors. He also won the Stark County title in the event.

A three-year lettermen in track and field for the Polar Bears, Martello holds Jackson’s school record in the pole vault with a mark of 14 feet, 9 inches.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 pm

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... 008/SPORTS

Jeslyn Zimmerly, a three-sport star at Westview, has signed with Indiana Tech. Zimmerly will concentrate on the pole vault.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm

From Milesplit:

Hannah Acton (IN) to Florida State
Megan Walker (FL) to Mississippi State
Terry Batemon (IN) to Indiana
Zach Winters (NJ) to Bucknell
Jacob Blankenship (OH) to Tennessee
Danielle Harding (OH) to CIncinnati
Shelby Poncik (TX) to Texas Tech
Reese Watson (TX) to Baylor
Brittany Wooten (TX) to Texas A&M

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Dyestat says Reese Watson is going to Texas

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

http://www.cugoldeneagles.com/article/934.php

Engstrom Signs for 2012-2013
Women's Outdoor Track & Field - Fri, Jan 6, 2012
Plymouth High School senior, Reagan Engstrom signed a Letter of Intent to Cornerstone University. A two-time MHSAA Division I State Championship qualifier in the pole vault, Engstrom cleared 10' 9" in the event as a junior and also ran qualified for the State Meet as a member of Wildcat's 4 x 200 meter relay team.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x987155171/Jackson-pole-vaulter-Vinny-Martello-commits-to-Marquette

Jackson pole vaulter Vinny Martello commits to Marquette
Submitted
Jackson High School senior pole vault Vinny Martello (seated, middle) signed a letter of intent to attend Marquette University. He is joined by his parents Tina and Al Martello, (back, from left) pole vault coach Dave Downey and boys track head coach Jon Mazur.

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

JACKSON TWP. —
Jackson High School senior pole vaulter Vinny Martello signed a letter of intent to attend Marquette University.

Martello made his first trip to the state meet a year ago in the pole vault, finishing sixth in Division I to earn All-Ohio honors. He also won the Stark County title in the event.

A three-year lettermen in track and field for the Polar Bears, Martello holds Jackson’s school record in the pole vault with a mark of 14 feet, 9 inches.

Looking forward to working with Vinny next fall!!!
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Reese Watson confirmed on his Twitter that he is going to Texas.

Garrett Starkey signed with Stanford.

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:27 pm

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArti ... M_ID=17000

Dillon Lookout Jenks Oklahoma 6A State Champion to Oral Roberts 16.06 PR. Oklahoma does not get another top vaulter from the state.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Jessie Johnson to Auburn

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge