Class of 2012 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Class of 2012 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 pm

http://www.journal-news.net/page/conten ... l?nav=5009

Rush vaults into future
July 28, 2012
By Rick Kozlowski - Journal Sports Editor (rkozlowski@journal-news.net) , journal-news.net
Save | Post a comment |
CHARLES TOWN - Roland Rush has spent a summer vaulting for some acknowledgment.

The recent graduate of Washington has been winning quite a bit, too, which has helped him gain recognition that should reward him with a college scholarship.

He'll take one more step on Sunday morning when he competes in the U.S. Track and Field Association's Junior Olympics at Morgan State in Baltimore.

Article Photos

Roland Rush

A winner of a five-state regional held at Cedarville, Ohio, the former state champion pole vaulter will be flying upward in search of a vault of 16 feet, 6 inches - the height he thinks will win.

Rush, who no-heighted as a senior at the 2012 West Virginia state meet after winning the competition a year earlier, cleared 15 feet in regional competition. In other regional competition, a scan of the competitors shows one who reached 16-3.5, a handful who tied in another meet at 15-7 and someone else somewhere else at 15-5.

Those others might or might not compete. Rush really won't know until the competition begins.

"And who is having a bad day and what not," Rush said. "There's a lot of possibilities.

"It should be a good meet; everybody will be pushing each other."

Rush and his coach, Tim Smith, are confident.

"I think he's going to do well," Smith said. "(Thursday), he had an excellent practice and is ready to go."

Rush also qualified for the national AAU finals in Houston, but he won't be attending that competition.

"I guess I'm doing pretty well," Rush said.

Well enough that Wheeling Jesuit got attracted and Rush made a commitment.

"I wanted this kid to get notoriety, because he is an excellent pole vaulter," Smith said. "I told his parents when I first saw him four years ago, he would be pretty special, would be a state champion, would be competing in college and could be an Olympian if he worked at it.

"All my summer was spent to get him a scholarship."

Smith said Rush is reaching nearly 17 feet in practice.

Rush is nervous up there.

"It's the way I'm finishing and trying to get so I trust the pole," Rush said. "I'm starting to get the pole more vertical and my body more vertical and trying to get off the pole vertical. It's more daunting, because you feel like you're going to fall straight down. It's a fear-factor thing.."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 am

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/w-trac ... 12aab.html

Illinois Standout to Pole Vault for Memphis
Muti-sport athlete inks with the Tigers.

Feb. 17, 2012

Memphis, Tenn.- Memphis track and field announced the signing of Illinois high school track and field product Carolina Carmichael on Friday. Carmichael's accomplishments include being named Illinois All-State in 2010 and 2011 in the pole vault.

"Carolina is a very accomplished vaulter," said head coach Kevin Robinson. "She's already jumped over 12 feet which would put her in the top five or six in our conference as of now. She comes from a great family, she carries a high GPA, and she's highly motivated and excited. I can't wait to coach her."

At Lake Forest High School, Carmichael lettered in track and field, gymnastics, and diving. Along with being named All-State in 2010 and 2011, she was selected All-Sectional and All-Conference in 2009, 2010, and 2011. She currently holds the conference record, the Lake Forest High School record, and Lake County record in the pole vault.

Last season in outdoor competition, the future Tiger finished second at the IHSA State Championships with a vault of 12' 3". Prior to her performance at the state meet, she took first and the 3A Buffalo Grove Sectional clearing 11' 9", and first at the Lake County Girls Invitational with a mark of 11'.

Carolina Carmichael is the daughter of Toni and Rob Carmichael.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/arti ... /index.xml

Prep Zone: Crystal Lake South pole vaulter Dahl picks W. Michigan
By JOE STEVENSON – joestevenson@shawmedia.com
E-mail this story
Print this story
ShareShare

Crystal Lake South senior Lexi Dahl always enjoyed competing in track and field, but there was one problem.

“I did triple jump, high jump, some 200s, but I wasn’t good in any of those events,” Dahl said. “I was just average.”

So during Dahl’s sophomore year, when Gators girls track and field coach Matt Dunker mentioned some of the boys were pole vaulting in the wrestling room, she decided to give it a try.

With her gymnastics background from kindergarten through eighth grade, she was a natural. Two years later, Dahl is headed to compete at NCAA Division I Western Michigan University. She signed her national letter of intent Monday, two days after taking sixth place in the Class 3A pole vault at the IHSA Girls Track and Field State Meet.

“I’ve been talking with them since the beginning of the semester,” said Dahl, who made an unofficial and an official visit to the Kalamazoo school. “They were looking for a vaulter.”

Dahl, coincidentally, will be replacing Jacobs graduate Sarah Ross, who vaulted for the Broncos, but has graduated. Western coach Kelly Lycan attended the state meet over the weekend in Charleston where Dahl vaulted her personal-best 11 feet 9 inches.

Dahl considered Iowa, Coastal Carolina and D-III St. Norbert. She wanted a wide range of schools from which to choose.

“After my sophomore year, at state, I knew this was what I wanted to pursue in college,” Dahl said. “The reality set in last year that I could do this when I made 11-0.”

Dahl took ninth last year, was fifth at the Illinois Prep Top Times Indoor Classic and finished her career with her best jump. Good thing she took Dunker up on that offer two years ago to check out pole vault.

“It was fun and it just kind of clicked for me,” she said.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”