Andrew Irwin 17'09.25i, HS indoor record!

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Andrew Irwin 17'09.25i, HS indoor record!

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm

12 Annual AVC School's Out Open II
Arkansas Vault Club Indoor Training Center, Black Springs, AR
June 14, 2011

Andrew made 17'09.25" on his 1st attempt to take the Arkansas Overall record from Spencer McCorkel (17'09" in 2007). He then made 18'00.5" on his 2nd attempt, but he steadied the bar with his left hand. We didn't count it and made him jump again. Close on the 3rd. His progressions were: 16'01.75" (4.92m), 16'07.5" (5.07m), 17'01.5" (5.22m), 17'09.25" (5.42m) and 18'00.5" (5.50m). He was jumping on 16'1" Altius Carbon Extremes, 17.5, 16.5 and 16.0 flex.

8th grade girl, Lexi Weeks, PR'd with 11'07". That mark is the highest ever made by and 8th grade girl in Arkansas.

Full Results: http://www.arkansasvaultclub.com/SchoolsOutOpenResults.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF6rhavqEro

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Re: Andrew Irwin 17'09.25" indoors

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58 pm

I really like the way he attacks the takeoff on the 17'9 jump. I can't tell if its a completely free takeoff, but you can tell he speeds up and really jumps up and into the takeoff. It caught my eye just watching it full speed to I felt I had to comment. It looks really nice.
-Nick

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Re: Andrew Irwin 17'09.25" indoors

Unread postby kewh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Re: Andrew Irwin 17'09.25i, HS indoor record!

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Coach,

As I said before: There is a little bit of coaching going on here! Good luck at Nationals!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 pm

yeah morry is killing it down there! very impressive resume that seems to get better ever week.

does it count as an indoor record even though its during the outdoor season? i have no idea how the hs rules are. Wont matter anyway since hes a junior and will definitely jump higher.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:24 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:yeah morry is killing it down there! very impressive resume that seems to get better ever week.

does it count as an indoor record even though its during the outdoor season? i have no idea how the hs rules are. Wont matter anyway since hes a junior and will definitely jump higher.

Yes by T&F News standards, no by NFHS standards.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:07 am

We're okay with it either way! The bottom line is that we know our summer "indoor" meets are out of "indoor season". That's just the way it's going to be here at our facility. We're just happy that Andrew did what we've thought he could do all along! Our meets were held indoors so his performances can't count as outdoor marks. They shouldn't.

There's advantages and disadvantages to training exclusively indoors, but since we built our building, we've seen some great things happen with our kids! I get emails from every track and field "Tom, Dick and Harry" encouraging us to promote the sport of track and field more. I get invited to every event under the sun. We host some meets indoors (we're kind of in the middle of nowhere) to get kids excited about the sport and draw people to our facility so they don't have to worry about the weather and everyone that reads the results becomes a critic of the whole "indoor/outdoor" thing. Is it just okay to host a meet as long as everyone was mediocre and no records get broken? We don't go out and beg for sponsors or beat the bushes for "on the fence" supporters. We host meets (sometimes going in the hole on expenses) for what we should be doing it for... the kids! The meets are ran professionally and by the rules.

I think anyone who's ever met me knows that credibility is important to me. Without that as a coach, what have you got? I'm not going to post it if they didn't really jump it! If it counts as a record, great! If not, oh well. The astericks has to go somewhere!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:23 am

morry

awesome..........

keep kicking "A" and taking names..

your making this sport what it should be and doing it for the right reasons.. the kids

great job

dj

kewh
PV Nerd

Unread postby kewh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 am

VTechVaulter wrote: Wont matter anyway since hes a junior and will definitely jump higher.

He is going to Arkansas this fall. He was a senior.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Morry I in no way meant to discredit anything that you guys have been doing down there. I certainly hope that is not how it came across. I was simply asking what the official stance from the governing bodies was.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Interesting just noticed this... since when is Track and Field News a governing HS body??? What is the NFHS??

Not to take away anything from Andrew, but June is not indoor season...the reason I ask is Reese Watson jumped 17-7 indoors during indoor season governed by the NFHS. Shawn Barber and Jake Blankenship tied Pat Manson's Indoor mark of 17-6.5 indoor in 2012 Indoor season so that should make them the top 4 all time indoor marks....

Am I missing something here? Someone correct me!!!!
Bob

kewh
PV Nerd

Unread postby kewh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm

2-15-46 wrote:Interesting just noticed this... since when is Track and Field News a governing HS body??? What is the NFHS??

Not to take away anything from Andrew, but June is not indoor season...the reason I ask is Reese Watson jumped 17-7 indoors during indoor season governed by the NFHS. Shawn Barber and Jake Blankenship tied Pat Manson's Indoor mark of 17-6.5 indoor in 2012 Indoor season so that should make them the top 4 all time indoor marks....

Am I missing something here? Someone correct me!!!!

Two different guys hold the outdoor record. USATF Tommy Skipper 18.03 and NFHS Eric Eschbach 18.02 1/4

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”