Arm Protectors

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Arm Protectors

Unread postby drcurran » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Questions came up in PA about arm protectors - this was sent out from the "higher ups" in the PIAA.

Dan

Several officials have seen or run into pole vaulters wearing protective forearm padding of one sort or another. Although the Rule Book does not address such a device specifically, the PIAA modification regarding bracelets has to date been referenced as a possible solution. As you know bracelets are not permitted under the modification and that includes wristbands/sweatbands, most notably of the terry cloth variety, worn on any part of the arm. The padded devices being worn, however, are not the same.

Having discussed the matter with the PIAA staff, it is our collective opinion to permit the use of the padded devices for the following reasons. First, it is a safety issue for the competitor using it much the same as the vaulting helmet. Second, there does not appear to be a competitive advantage when using such a device. Third, the padded device would not be considered an adornment. And lastly, a uniform variance letter would not have to be sought and presented to the official every time the competitor wore such a device in competition.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Chukam All
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, IHSA Certified Track & Field Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Re: Arm Protectors

Unread postby Chukam All » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 pm

This is almost exactly what the State Association of Illinois has told us. With one exception. Since the padded device costs money to purchase, many vaulters simply use an oversized wristband in it's place.

The IHSA has declared that Pole Vaulters may use a wristband for this purpose provided that the athlete covers the wristband with tape.

Don't ask me to explain the logic.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:58 pm

One thing that i have noticed with pv arm bands and sweat bands is the logo. Most problems with this can be over come by either turning the sweat bands inside out or taking a majic marker and blanking out the oversize logos. I do not think Missouri has had a problem with pv arm bands or sweat bands (if used as an arm protector) in the pole vault

Chukam All
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, IHSA Certified Track & Field Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Unread postby Chukam All » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Chukam All wrote:This is almost exactly what the State Association of Illinois has told us. With one exception. Since the padded device costs money to purchase, many vaulters simply use an oversized wristband in it's place.

The IHSA has declared that Pole Vaulters may use a wristband for this purpose provided that the athlete covers the wristband with tape.

Don't ask me to explain the logic.

The latest interp coming from Illinois is that they now do NOT have to be covered with tape. As long as there isn't anything offensive on the wristband, it is legal.

handsbleeding
PV Newbie

Unread postby handsbleeding » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Did Bubka wear an "arm protector"? ;) That little lump of Myositis ossificans sets us vaulters apart. Its like cauliflower-ear is to wrestlers. That lump is something to be worn proudly.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”