Bunge placement at District sectional and state meets

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Bunge placement at District sectional and state meets

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 pm

I was wanting to "poll" the track officials on this site how they handle the bunge during the "big" high school meets. Our state organization places the bar at the starting height for these meets (normally the height of the lowest vaulter competing).. This bunge placed on the standards for 30 minutes prior to the start of the event and never raised or lowered. Any thoughts as to what other states do with their bunge placement during these "larger" meets. I'm thinking that a bunge placed near the mid point of the highest / lowest vaulter might fit the needs to a greater degree. I'm not meaning to "stir the pot" only to get information. THANK YOU !!!

vault-official
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach, Club Coach, Certified PV Official
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Re: Bunge placement at District sectional and state meets

Unread postby vault-official » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Our area coaches agreed not to use the bungee for warmup. The wording in the book is too controversial. My opinion is that if the state is going to use it, put it the midpoint in seed heights. I think that will serve the greater good.

Hickman
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Valuter, Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-2

Unread postby Hickman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:33 am

At the Missouri State Meet Class 4 boys Pole vault I saw them put a bunge up at a "mid-point" around 12'6"-13" and then I watched a kid jump get tangled up and fall right in to the box. That was the end of his day, he was taken out on a back board. As a coach I will never use a bunge for warm ups and I ask to have them taken down when my kids are jumping the risk is was to great.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:54 am

Hickman wrote:At the Missouri State Meet Class 4 boys Pole vault I saw them put a bunge up at a "mid-point" around 12'6"-13" and then I watched a kid jump get tangled up and fall right in to the box. That was the end of his day, he was taken out on a back board. As a coach I will never use a bunge for warm ups and I ask to have them taken down when my kids are jumping the risk is was to great.

Seems to me like the bungee would tend to make things safer IF the standards are pushed all the way back because it would make a kid more aware of their position in the air. The standards would have had to have been pretty far forward for a kid to get tangled up in a bungee and land in a box. They don't offer enough resistance to put a kid in the box that was otherwise going to land in the pit.

vault-official
PV Newbie

Unread postby vault-official » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 am

I was there when that incident happened. I agree with Becca. If the standards are pushed back, the jumper is more likely to land back in the pit. There were more forces at play with the vault, other than the bungee...

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am

If bunges actually caused people to get hurt I think we would have a lot more injuries. I've never seen anyone hurt because of a bunge. In Jersey I have never seen a bungee in warm-ups, to answer the original question. I personally have never asked for one to be put up because I'm always too worried about my kids getting enough time to warm up.

Hickman
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Valuter, Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-2

Unread postby Hickman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm

So we should be placing blame on the officials, I like that idea. Most of the time in Missouri they are 60 year olds with limited pole vault experience but have a power trip that needs to be filled. Just look at the rule of the weight labels on the poles if you wanted to you could but any label to wanted to and the officials have no idea they just look at it count to 5 in their head and they put on X or sticker on the pole. But back to the questions, Ok so up push them back and get it out of the way only about 1% of Missouri vaultuers can jump deep enough for the bunge to matter, so why have it at all. I just see how a bunge on districts/sectional/state makes up a better jumper that day, is there any proof to this or does.

Vault-official--What were the "forces at play with the vault, other than the bungee..." If this vaulter was twisting the rules or was out of his league then that is just more of a reason to have highly qualified officials and get the extra hazards out of the way.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Hickman wrote:Vault-official--What were the "forces at play with the vault, other than the bungee..." If this vaulter was twisting the rules or was out of his league then that is just more of a reason to have highly qualified officials and get the extra hazards out of the way.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he was on too big of a pole/grip for his technique and/or athletic abilities. The extra hazards are probably the coaching he was receiving.

I think the point we're all trying to make is there is no way a bungee caused a kid to land in the box. He would have landed in the box either way. I've seen people get tangled up in some bungees pretty fierce. They either come off the pegs, break, or stretch a lot. Hurts like crazy if they break and snap on you!

I personally don't have a strong opinion about warmups with a bungee at the HS level. I think it _can_ improve safety if the standards are back, but there's nothing in the rules that specify where the standards have to be for a bungee in warmups (a reasonable person would assume within the legal range for a crossbar). But it also can slow down warmups which is a big pain.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm

In my opinion, bungees make warm-ups much safer. It gives the vaulter a point of reference. I think taking a full jump without a bar or bungee would be like sky diving blind folded.

We always bury the standards. If you wrap the bungee around the standard to connect it to the peg, it won't fall off and you don't have to worry about slowing down the warm-up.

As for a bungee causing an injury, I don't see how that's possible. If a kid is a dangerous vaulter with questionable technique on the wrong pole at the wrong time with a wrong grip, he or she will probably get hurt with or without a bungee.

We use multiple bungees (we call it the bungee buffet) in every practice year-round and there hasn't been any sign of anyone getting hurt. It accomodates several skill levels at one time.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm

I’m sorry but Hickman is defiantly wrong and I feel that I must interject - I was working the state meet at Missouri this year and would like to set the record straight. First off the bungee was placed at the meet starting height, not the "mid point", with the standards pushed back to 24 inches - 30 minutes before the meet actually started - as decided by the meet committee. The coaching box was informed of the placement specifications and the bung was NOT adjusted during warmups. Secondly about half way thru the boys warm up, the young man that fell half on the mats and half into the box, vaulted, inverted and then stalled out on a large pole, tucked up in a "ball" and made a major mistake of letting go of the pole when he stalled out - he did NOT get tangled into the bungee. The warm ups were stopped and medical officials were immediately summoned (an ambulance was on site and was also summoned as a precaution) the medical officials worked with the young man and eventually let him up off the mats (walking with help) His coach immediately scratched the young man from the remainder of the meet. As far as the officials that work this meet - they are some of the most professional track officials that I have ever known. I consider it a “slap in the face” to even suggest that this group of dedicated professionals would ever consider passing illegal pole vault poles !!!! I consider it an HONOR and PRIVELEDGE to work with these professionals. I’m sure that AVC Coach and Becca can verify that as a coach/official I would NEVER do anything to jeopardize the safety of any pole vaulter that I have EVER been in contact with.

vault-official
PV Newbie

Unread postby vault-official » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Sorry so late to post. 1yeldud1 hit it on the head, but let me add this--the boys were warming up for too long. All of them were slowing down and slipping from sweaty hands. Sometimes warming up works against us. Also, Missouri officials have our hands tied. We cannot do things like weigh in athletes or prevent/pull an unsafe athlete from jumping. I contacted both the NFHS and MSHSAA on this and other issues and they all agreed on only going by the book. MSHSAA's official response was if the conditions are unsafe or we feel an athlete is being unsafe, the only option is to walk away. I've even talked to State officials who work the vault and they said the same thing. On of the governing bodies needs to take a stand and push for safety, not stupid rules that punish athletes for wearing colored stitching.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 am

Vault-official - Thank You - As far as the boys warming up too long on a normal day I can agree, they have a aprox 45 minutes. Which is a lot of time if it is used correctly. Sixteen pole vaulters pumped up on adrenilin (SP) I can see why some tend to - but conditions can change and that much time can be needed (wind, rain, ect). With the coaches in such a close proximity to the pit a coach could suggest to the vaulter that they have had enough warm ups. As I stated the intent of this post was to "poll" the oficials and see if there was a need to adjust the bunge placement - as of now it looks like almost everyone is content with the current position. Thank You

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”