RELAYS! YAY!

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

RELAYS! YAY!

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:26 pm

Has anyone else competed in a pole vault relay before? they are sooo much fun!! i went to about 5 meets where EVERYTHING was a relay and i have to say pole vault relays are cool! ( esp. when you relay partner is your best buddy!) hehe. well...j/w because most people haven't even heard of them before. :) :yes:
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:35 pm

My high school usually competes at the Lynden Co-Ed Relays. My senior year (2000) was the first year any school had gotten together a relay of 2 girls and 2 guys for the vault. The weather at the meet was miserable. Worst weather I have ever competed in. Very cold, wet, and windy.

So my relay team did 6'0, 7'0 (me and I beat all the other girls :P), and 8'0 and 9'0 for the guys. We beat all the other teams cuz all the good guys decided not to jump in the nasty weather. We got the meet record even! Haha :P

I woulda gone higher, but they made me run a 600 on a mid-distance relay and when I came back my poles had gotten soaked. I took one jump at 8' and my coach pulled me out of the competition :(

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:10 am

I love relay meets!!! We go to the Tempe Relays every year, they take 2 guys and 2 girls from every school for the field events and add them up. Last year we didn't do so well because our two (good) guys weren't able to make it. :( Has anybody done the hurdle shuttle relay? that is so cool!
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:11 am

yeah, relay meets are a lot of fun (especially when you have a good team)....
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:59 am

Here in arizona we also have a meet called the Tribune relays. Its an all guys meet. EAch school sends their top three vaulters. The three heights are added up for each school. I love it, it shows which schools have great depth. Last year we tallied up about 42 feet. (15'6, 14', and 12'6). The meet record I beleive is about 45 feet by jeff guys group. ITs a really fun meet, they also have a "fat mans" watermelon relay!!!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:15 pm

becca,

what was University's relay record ast year?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:04 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:becca,

what was University's relay record ast year?

:o Yeah... about that... the newspapers messed up the results. I had the right results somewhere but I haven't been able to find them. I need to give Scott Spruill an email and catch up on stuff.

They broke the old record of 40-3 by a good bit... I think they jumped 42'6 or so. It was a good relay, but it was very early in the year and Tyson and Eric did not have spectacular marks. Maybe 15' and 14' apiece.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:19 pm

During spring break our track team would go to some little meets in CA or FL to have fun and try to qualify early for outdoors in some nice weather. At one of these meets our coach some how put all of the vaulters in a 4x100 wieghtman's relay. Needless to say the other teams were calling foul when we step up to the blocks. With good reason, we finished so far in front that I ran accross the finish line to watch second place make thier hand for the third leg!!!

I always loved the pole vault relays, It always brings your team together and allows the whole team to succeed and not just an individule.

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:01 pm

lol my first pv relay i had a pr (lol 8 feet hehe) and my relay partner didn't clear opening height but we still came in second place and the first place team only beat us by a few pts. it was funny! another time she couldn't come to the meet so i ended up being my own team and we/me still placed 5th because the standards literaly got stuck at 23 and all of the grls were missing opening height. when we have yucky weather, they just cancell pv completly but i have heard that when it's gloomy outside, you vault better or something. weird!
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:33 pm

lol, i typically can't do any sports well when it's gloomy, lol....maybit it's just me i guess....dont know how gloomy could help anyone though :P
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:19 am

We used to have a bunch of pole vault relays back in upstate New York. My teammate and I would both usually jump 12' or 12'6 and place top 3 with a combined 24'-25'. It was a lot of fun and really got you to cheer on your teammate, as well as put more pressure on yourself.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”