Jack Whitt is a nice guy

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jack Whitt is a nice guy

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:51 am

http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/ ... 20040.html

Whitt wanted to go higher

By Michael Kinney
The Norman Transcript

Jack Whitt knows his way around a pole vault pit. Despite being only 17, the Norman North senior is ranked No. 1 in the nation and No. 2 in the world in the 19-under division.

While many athletes of his stature can be selfish with their knowledge, Whitt has been known to help out teammates and opponents alike in the fine art of the pole vaulting.

Friday, during the Class 5A/6A regional track and field meet at Norman High, Whitt at times seemed more like a coach than a competitor. While waiting for the Class 6A competition to begin, Whitt gave pointers to the 5A contestants.

“I definitely try to help people I know who don’t have a coach,” Whitt said. “And I get a lot of people that ask me questions and I love to help them. I definitely help people that need it, because I know it can come back around and help me.”

Whitt’s coaching job did not affect his own performance. For the third consecutive year, Whitt took home a regional pole vault title. He hit 17-feet on his first vault, which was five-feet more than Edmond’s Brandon Samples, who took second place.

Whitt used the rest of his attempts to try and break his own state record of 17-feet, 10-inches. He pushed the bar to 18-feet and a half inch. Unfortunately, he failed on all three attempts to hit the mark. But he plans to try again next week at the state meet at Moore.

“I did good, but I could have done better,” Whitt said. “I felt I was ready to jump it. But it didn’t work out. I am going to go out and try to win the meet first, then jump high. That’s the biggest meet of my year besides my summer stuff and the Texas Relays.”

lifecaster9
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current highschool vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Jack Whitt is a nice guy

Unread postby lifecaster9 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm the exact same way althoug not nearly as great a vaulter as Whitt. Helping people is always great. I like to know im winning because of my dedication and preparation. Not because im hiding my knowledge. :yes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done."

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm

NO HE's NOTTTT!!!
he crushes bars, pr's and other's hopes of being NCAA d1 CHAMP - and that is just....
JUST NOT FAIR!!!!
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 pm

:devil:
;)
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”