Vaulters running the 200 meters

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Dave eckes
PV Newbie

Vaulters running the 200 meters

Unread postby Dave eckes » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:39 am

I am dealing with a head coach who is insistant on all of my vaulters to run the 200 meters in all of our events. In my opinion vaulters don't run around corners very well. What do ya'll think?

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Vaulters running the 200 meters

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 am

In my opinion vaulters don't run around corners very well. What do ya'll think?

What does that mean? I would imagine most vaulters are more capable of running the 200m than anyone else on the track team.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 am

They should be fine. However, I would say the 100 meters would be more ideal.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 am

Steve Hooker has run 200's in the past and has a pr of 21.1.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:13 am

I'm not sure why the coach wants all vaulters to run the 200 but I would definitely say let them be part of the team and run some events. Anywhere they can help the team, they should compete. Many elite vaulters were high school hurdlers, long jumpers and relay members. They are only kids once, let them do as many things as they can.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 am

I have been at meets where coach's were more interested in points then the athlete. I have seen vaulters run other events only to be to tired to vault well. One year at state we waited for the favorite to run the 110 hurddles, when he returned he did not clear another bar and lost the state title. I think it is bull for a good to elite vaulter to do other events unless they want to, and then a parent or coach should step in. Just my 2 cents.

Dave eckes
PV Newbie

Unread postby Dave eckes » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Kev, I like your style. Thanx

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Dave eckes wrote:I am dealing with a head coach who is insistant on all of my vaulters to run the 200 meters in all of our events. In my opinion vaulters don't run around corners very well. What do ya'll think?

It's important for high school vaulters to run other events. The earlier they are in their development, the more they should be doing this. However, it doesn't mean they have to run a specific race every single meet, and it will depend somewhat on the kid, what they like doing, and if they are injury prone. I think making all of the vaulters run the 200 every meet is dumb, but as a high school coach, you bet I made my kids do 2-3 other events every meet unless it was an Invitational, and they all ran the 4x400 at least once.

If your vaulters have a history of only doing the vault at every meet, I think a good compromise with your coach would be that the kids do at least one or two other events at all of the weekday meets, but let the kids pick the events. You could make them all run the 200 at least once, but there is no need to do it every meet.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 pm

kev44000 wrote:I have been at meets where coach's were more interested in points then the athlete. I have seen vaulters run other events only to be to tired to vault well. One year at state we waited for the favorite to run the 110 hurddles, when he returned he did not clear another bar and lost the state title. I think it is bull for a good to elite vaulter to do other events unless they want to, and then a parent or coach should step in. Just my 2 cents.

I guess I am one of the few who thinks of track as a team sport but that is how I view it. In all the years I was a head coach I put the team above the individual. I thought that was my job. I would never make a kid leave an event for another unless I thought he had a chance to be succesfull in both. In college I saw Billy Olsen leave a chance at a new american record to go get 4th or 5th in the conference 100 meters. To make a kid go run the 200 just because, makes no sense to me but if he can help the team by running it, thats a different story. Since I view track as a team sport a vaulter saying he wouldn't do another event would be just like a wide reciever saying he doesn't block or a guard in basketball saying he is just there to shoot, defense is for someone else. It is the head coaches job to place the athletes where they can have the most individual success and also help the team.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Never said a vaulter would say he would not do another event, they will do what the coach tells them. This was my veiw as a parent of an elite vaulter and watching alot lot of bad coach's run a track team from my area. I have seen it the other way also two girls entered in the pole vault ,shot etc and caoch's here enter girls for the points because they can stiff pole five feet or throw a shot 15 feet. I know it is not this way everywhere. Our school's track team has 104 athletes no need for a thrower or vaulter to run unless the want to, not because they have to.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 pm

At my school, all vaulters do other events, usually 2 more.
I usually do the vault, 200, and 400 or 4x400. I did the 100m but it was during the vault and I'm not going to get any points [or get NEAR it for that matter] so I stay for vault. A lot of our guys do 4x800. Some of our girls do other field events. We usually do a 400m or a 4x400.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:19 pm

I was A 16'+ vaulter in high school that ran the 200, 400, 4x100 and 4x400 and qualified for state in all of them.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”