Vaulters running the 200 meters

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Vaulters running the 200 meters

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 am

but on note of the 200.. its great to run if you are any good in relation to your competition. As far as all vaulters running 200, not very productive in my mind, expecialy if you have a kid that is barely breaking 30. If they want to make you do an event that is pole vault specific and prodcutive, LJ or run the 110 hurdles. LJ is similar run up and take off, while 110h builds speed and cordination.

Ajw118
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter - Class of 2011

Unread postby Ajw118 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 am

I think this was meant as a joke, cause he said "we can't turn around corners very well" or something like that. Don't take it to seriously, i guarentee it was just a joke.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 am

One of the top 6A vaulters in Oklahoma injured out for the season after seperating his shoulder running the 4 by 100 relay after a fall. What a shame. Is something the athlete wanted to do, or had to I do not know, but what a mistake. He had signed also with a college, hope he comes back strong.

awiley
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.65m

Unread postby awiley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:14 am

Hey Dave,

I don't know all the technical aspects of it but I do know what Solly had us do during high school. He was a big fan of kids doing other events but only at the dual meets. He liked to think of the dual meets as an extra practice for us. I ran everything from a 100 to a 4x400. I really hated the 200 the few times I ran it and I didn't feel like I got as much out of it as when he had me run the open 100 or the 100 hurdles. I didn't feel like the running really hurt my pole vaulting either. I usually had to run right before I was about to come in in the vault anyway so it helped get me warmed up. Oh and you know how we all loved the 4x400 haha not. But I really think the kids should have some say in what other events they do but I would say that they should all do at least one other event, except at invitationals which should be saved for the vault. But that is just how it was for me in high school so you gotta do what is best for the group of athletes you have now. Take care Dave and Good luck!

Amber Wiley

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”