Important: Latest News about labels

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

mllegatt
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach, Former College & Elite Vaulter

Re: Important: Latest News about labels

Unread postby mllegatt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 am

Hey Everyone,
I was under the impression that older Altius poles were legal again (as long as the engraving is of contrasting color and there is a max handgrip indicator), but 5 of my vaulters couldn't compete yesterday because the officials had an email from NFHS stating that these poles that had been grandfathered in were no longer legal. Niether I, my head coaches, nor our AD has seen this communication. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks,
Michelle

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:10 pm

mllegatt wrote:Hey Everyone,
I was under the impression that older Altius poles were legal again (as long as the engraving is of contrasting color and there is a max handgrip indicator), but 5 of my vaulters couldn't compete yesterday because the officials had an email from NFHS stating that these poles that had been grandfathered in were no longer legal. Niether I, my head coaches, nor our AD has seen this communication. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks,
Michelle

The following was part of a distribution by the Oregon School Activities Association to all Oregon HS ADs and head track coaches (dated March 31, 2010):
3. Altius poles: Older models of Altius poles did not display the weight rating for the pole in the form of a
label, but rather through an engraving of the ¾ inch size, proper location and appeared in contrasting color
according to Rule 7-5-3. As these poles have been used in practice and competition, some have lost the
contrasting color of the weight rating. No pole by any manufacturer is “grandfathered” to not meet all
requirements in Rule 7-5-3. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer and school to address the official
process of the manufacturer to validate the replacement of the weight rating should it become worn and
no longer visible in a contrasting color, as required by rule.

So the way I read this, if the weight rating is still identifiable in a contrasting color the pole meets the rule. If the contrasting color is gone the pole fails the rule. This would be true of a label also. If a label becomes unreadable or loses its contrasting color, it obviously fails the rule.
Last edited by master on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

mllegatt
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach, Former College & Elite Vaulter

Unread postby mllegatt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 am

Thank You :)
This is actually the same statement the officials had at the meet. They were saying that that statement made our Altius poles (with clearly contrasting 3/4'' letters) illegal. At the time I was so frustrated and blindsided (I hadn't seen this before) that I couldn't actually make sense of what this paragraph was saying, specifically the "grandfathered" in sentence. The officials couldn't really explain it to me either.
But reading it now--in a calmer state of mind--I understand what it is saying and I completely agree with you.
*wheh*

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:06 am

It's pretty easy to take an extra fine tipped permanent marker (the really fine kind, not the standard sharpies), and fill in the engravings on your Altius poles so that they are still a contrasting color, if you have an older Altius where the color has worn off.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 am

I use a white board marker. Just color over the etching and wipe off with a soft cloth. The color fills in the etching and wipes of the glass. I did a Spirit pole four years ago so I could get a new label and it still is quite dark today. You will need to refill if the pole gets wet.

dheldr01
PV Nerd

Unread postby dheldr01 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:17 pm

I was at a meet friday night. My schools regional, and the official yanked out all the older altius poles from a couple schools. Not from my school, but I still tried to explain to him that they were legal. I was able to do it very calmly since it didn't impact my vaulters...and 1 vaulter shouldn't of been on the pole that was taken from him and he refused to listen to anyone telling him he was overbending and...that's a another topic...but the official was still fixated on the label being a sticker, even though sticker is not in our rule book

bdc629
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.18
Favorite Vaulter: Dave Clark

Unread postby bdc629 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 am

This rule is such a joke.....it still blows my mind. Let me ask this...what would happen if I stripped a pole and re-wrapped it, Made up a new brand label and then put what ever weight label I wanted on it..... For example I wold take an Altius pole, wrap it with Green tape and put a lable on it and call it a "UltraFlex" and then stick a weight label on it for what ever weight I wanted....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:01 pm

bdc629 wrote:This rule is such a joke.....it still blows my mind. Let me ask this...what would happen if I stripped a pole and re-wrapped it, Made up a new brand label and then put what ever weight label I wanted on it..... For example I wold take an Altius pole, wrap it with Green tape and put a lable on it and call it a "UltraFlex" and then stick a weight label on it for what ever weight I wanted....

It might pass some meets, but any official who has any idea of what is going on would DQ it.

bdc629
PV Beginner

Unread postby bdc629 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:54 pm

But how come?...that is now my pole with my new brand. I have actually had poles made under my own label before....the sames as Rocket did a while back so how could they question it as long has it has the correct placement of the lables etc. ? Is there a rule that states you can only use 4 or 5 brands of poles? I dont PLAN on doing it but it was just a thought as I really hate this weight rule but understand their thought process but I do believe it works against safety as well.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:32 pm

bdc629 wrote:But how come?...that is now my pole with my new brand. I have actually had poles made under my own label before....the sames as Rocket did a while back so how could they question it as long has it has the correct placement of the lables etc. ? Is there a rule that states you can only use 4 or 5 brands of poles? I dont PLAN on doing it but it was just a thought as I really hate this weight rule but understand their thought process but I do believe it works against safety as well.

What was "your brand" and who made it? All private label poles have used their manufacturer's weight labels.

bdc629
PV Beginner

Unread postby bdc629 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 pm

The brand was called UltraFlex by Track and Field Plus....made here in 'Txas by Altius.....VERY short lived....White with purple label and white lettering....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 pm

If someone was going to start a new brand, I would think it would be prudent to be in contact with the NFHS and make sure they disseminated the information about it to their officials.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”