Class of 2009 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Class of 2009 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:38 am

OK so no early signing period, but I am sure commitments will be rolling in soon. Here is one to get us started:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... S1.article

Winder vaulting to North Central

Plainfield Central's Josh Winder, the defending Class AA champion, will pole vault at North Central next year.
herald news file photo

November 18, 2008

BY DICK GOSS -- HERALD NEWS

PLAINFIELD -- All in the family.

That's the way Josh Winder explained his decision Monday as he and fellow Plainfield Central High School senior Taylor Tooley, a shining star in coach Anne Campbell's softball program, signed their national letters of intent during a ceremony at the school.

Winder, the defending state champion in the pole vault, was courted by NCAA Division I programs such as UCLA, Florida and Nebraska, to name a few. That would be enough attention to sway just about any high school kid.

But family is everything to the Winders.

Josh's brother Jake, a junior at North Central College and former state champion pole vaulter at Plainfield South, began his career at the University of Alabama. It didn't quite work out the way he planned, however, and he transferred to North Central after his freshman year.

It's not that the Naperville school is chopped liver, mind you. The Cardinals, under coach Al Carius, are among the premier Division III programs in the nation. And their pole vault coach is none other than Tim Winder -- yes, the father of Jake and Josh.

Their coach.

"My brother has told me how going to North Central changed his life," Josh said. "Plus, our dad is his pole vault coach.

"I knew all along I was going to go to North Central. Jake tried the faraway thing, and he couldn't do it. It's a whole different thing when you change how you are coached."

Plainfield Central coach Steve Lawrence said he was not surprised in the least with Winder's decision.

"Family is important to him and to everyone in their family, including Lucas, who is in seventh grade," Lawrence said. "It's just wasn't working with Jake being away and everyone not being able to cheer each other on."

"Jake and I call each other 2-3 times a week to talk about how our injuries feel, how we've been lifting and running, that kind of thing," Josh said. "He helps coach with my dad at a camp I attend."

While Jake's goal is to win the Division III national championship, Josh would like to repeat as state champion in the spring.

Well, sort of.

"Technique precedes height," said Josh, who cleared 16 feet 9 inches in winning the state title last spring. "My goal is not really to go more than 17 feet. I'm trying to get the technique right so I can do the best I possibly can."

"If he wins, he wins," Lawrence said. "If he goes over 17 feet, I think he'll be happy with the result."

Lawrence noted that Winder can bench press 290 pounds, has 5 percent body fat on his 175-pound frame and then added a statistic that bears repeating. "He runs a 4.5 with the pole in his hand," he said.

Imagine that.

"The thing about Josh is, I don't ever have to tell him to do any work," Lawrence said. "He is always running and lifting the weights."

Winder, who plans to study education or exercise science, said injuries took their toll in the summer -- "I pulled one hammy real bad, then I hurt the opposite hammy." But that has made him only more determined to stay in the best shape possible.

"My goal is to stay healthy, and if I do, I'll be confident going into state," he said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Class of 2009 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Shade Weygandt to Texas Tech

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:51 pm

As posted elsewhere on this board, Jack Whitt plans to sign with Oral Roberts.

Corey Shank plans to sign with Kansas.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 pm

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs. ... 001/SPORTS

Northrop pole vaulter Corey Shank to University of Kansas

By Reggie Hayes
of The News-Sentinel
Corey Shank, the latest and maybe greatest in a long line of talented Fort Wayne pole vaulters, is heading to the University of Kansas.

Shank told Kansas track-and-field coaches on Monday that he will accept a scholarship to continue his career there next fall. He will sign a letter of intent in February.

Shank, a senior, is a two-time Indiana state pole vault champion and holds the state record of 17 feet.

“It's a great school and they've had proven success in the pole vault,” Shank said. “It's a great opportunity to go and continue to improve.”

Among the draws for Shank is Kansas vertical jump coach Tom Hays, who has coached Big 12 Conference champions in both men's and women's pole vault. Kansas' top vaulter last season, Jordan Scott, cleared 18 feet and won the NCAA Midwest Regional.

“Jordan Scott is one of the best college vaulters right now,” Shank said. “Everywhere Coach Hays has been, he has had great vaulters.”

Shank visited a number of schools, including Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee and his father's alma mater, Illinois. Corey's father, Bob, who is the athletic director at Northrop, held the state record in the vault at 16-6 before Corey broke it.

Bob Shank, who cleared 18 feet in college, has also served as his son's coach throughout his career.

“It'll be different for me to be a spectator and fan, but it's a change I'm looking forward to,” Bob Shank said. “With Corey's success, I feel like I've gotten him to a level, but I feel totally confident that the resources and coaches at Kansas can take him to another level.”

Corey Shank's resume is an impressive one. As a freshman, he placed third in the state meet and ranked on the outdoor national list (15-10). As a sophomore, his 17-foot state vault ranked No.2 on the all-time outdoor prep list and he was ranked No.2 in the IAAF World Youth Rankings. As a junior, he won the state and was the USATF Youth National Champion.

He will strive to add some additional achievements to his record this spring.

“I've gotten a lot stronger and faster,” he said. “I'm hoping to improve on the 10.8 (seconds) 100 (meters) I ran last year. Our 4-by-100 placed third at state and we have everyone returning. It would be a great feat to come out of the state meet with a first place in the 4-by-100 and also a team championship.”

Naturally, a third pole vault title will be on his to-do list.

“Hopefully, I can put up some good marks,” he said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/010909/ ... 0017.shtml

Conway's Rea decides to continue career at UCA
Vaulting her way up
By MICHAEL ALLEN
LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER

Arkansas' No. 1 pole vaulting college prospect, Conway senior McKinley Rea, has given her oral commitment to the University of Central Arkansas.

Rea, who is the favorite to win the pole vault at both the Class 7A state meet and the Meet of Champs this spring, turned down nine other scholarship offers from schools across the nation. She narrowed down her list to two schools, which included South Alabama, before choosing UCA.

"It feels like a weight has finally been lifted from my shoulder after I decided where I was going to go to school at," Rea said. "Now, I don't have to worry about where do I have to go and who's watching me. I feel like I can do better now that I don't have that extra pressure on me."

Rea won the pole vault last spring at both the 7A-Central meet and the 7A state meet, while placing second at the Meet of Champs. She is scheduled to compete in the Razorback Invitational this weekend for the Arkansas Vault Club, where the best-of-the-best from the region are expected to compete. Rea is going into that event seeded third.

"I'm very proud of her, whether it's academics or its athletics," said Shawn Rea, her father. "She's done everything that she has needed to do to earn a college scholarship. That was her goal before the indoor season started - was to name a college "

Rea had a busy summer competing in the Nike Outdoor Nationals at St. Charles, Mo. In the offseason, she did short run drills to improve technique. Her first time jumping at a bar was on Dec. 20 when she cleared 11-9 at the Arkansas Vault Club training center at Black Springs. She won the high school girls division and she outjumped everyone in the women's open division, which included scholarship athletes from Arkansas State.
"I've been working very hard," Rea said. "This summer, I trained at Parisi Speed School and worked out there at least twice a week. I feel like that has helped me a lot. Every since the Nike Outdoor Nationals, I've been training every Sunday and I hope to keep that up."

Rea also helps the Lady Cats on some of the relays, including the 4x100. She is expected to be one of the highest point-getters on the team this spring.

"Anywhere you go, you try to look at how many points you can score. She has just been solid every where that we've went," Conway track coach J.R. Ross said. "At the state indoor meet with 35 teams there, she's gonna score points. In the state outdoor meet, she's gonna score. It's good to go to those things and know that you have got points. That's what she's been the last three years, real steady."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm

hey

congrats to UCA for recruiting some studs/studettes...

hopefully McKinley will have some help from my old college roommate/team mate... he is in the Athletic department and i think he is a PV volunteer coach..

Charles Lemley... 4 time conference Outdoor Champion... plus she will still have Morry..

good luck this year Mckinley..

i was lucky to be in the Arkansas Meet Of champions myself... hurdles not vault.... Quit a fun meet..

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:31 pm

http://www.aberdeennews.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /-1/NEWS01

College Track and Field: Central grad to pole vault at USF
Published on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Adrianne Skaggs has signed to pole vault at the University of Sioux Falls.

As a five-time letter winner at Aberdeen Central, Skaggs has qualified for the State AA Meet in the pole vault the past three years. In 2008, she had a season-best jump of 10 feet, six inches before placing seventh at the state meet. She surpassed that mark last summer with a leap of 11 feet. Along with being a successful vaulter at Aberdeen Central, Skaggs is also an accomplished gymnast, qualifying for the State AA Gymnastics Meet the last three years.

“Her gymnastics background is going to help her immensely in the pole vault,” said USF pole vault coach Reid Ehrisman. “She has a lot of potential, and I am excited that I get the opportunity to help her develop that potential.”

Number1polevaultdad
PV Newbie

Unread postby Number1polevaultdad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Mac has worked hard and is excited about UCA. As one of the most vertically challanged female vaulters at 5', she
has to always be on her game with little room for error to have a chance at big bars. Speed is on her side though.

#1PVdad

dj wrote:hey

congrats to UCA for recruiting some studs/studettes...

hopefully McKinley will have some help from my old college roommate/team mate... he is in the Athletic department and i think he is a PV volunteer coach..

Charles Lemley... 4 time conference Outdoor Champion... plus she will still have Morry..

good luck this year Mckinley..

i was lucky to be in the Arkansas Meet Of champions myself... hurdles not vault.... Quit a fun meet..

dj

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Congrats to Shade

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:14 pm

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2009 ... 537740.txt

Springfield’s Ian Ferguson cleared 12 feet, 6 inches to take first place in the pole vault, with Strath Haven freshman Chris Williams second at 12-0. Ferguson has been over the bar at 13-9 this season.

“My goal is to get to 15 feet before the outdoor season is over,” said Ferguson, who will compete next year at Bucknell University.

“I did 14 feet last year, but at districts I tried to use a pole I wasn’t ready for and didn’t make it to states. I worked a lot during the summer so I’d be ready for this year.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:52 pm

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016

Abbey to ‘Aide’ Beavers
Bottineau standout signs letter of intent to Minot State

By MICHAEL LINNELL, Sports Editor mlinnell@minotdailynews.com
POSTED: January 29, 2009 Save | Print | Email | Read comments | Post a comment
Article Photos

Michael Linnell/MDN
Abbey Aide, center, gestures to Minot State University head coaches Johnna Lewis, left, and Stu Melby, right, during a press conference at the Christensen Room at the MSU Dome announcing Aide’s signing to play volleyball and track and field for the Beavers.

Advertisement
When Abbey Aide made her decision where to continue her athletic and academic careers, family played an important role. Minot State University was the correct distance from her home in Bottineau, her dad Mark is an assistant coach on the track and field team and her sister Katie is an assistant on the volleyball team.

But when asked about the prospects of competing against sister Kelsey, a standout at rival Dickinson State, Abbey was quick to point out her competitiveness.

"I do want to beat her ... bad," Abbey Aide said. "I am excited to compete against her. A little nervous and excited. We did it in high school, but we will be in two different jerseys."

She will get her chance right away during the 2010 season as Aide signed a letter of intent to play both volleyball and track and field for the Beavers starting in the fall. Both Johnna Lewis, head volleyball coach, and Stu Melby, head track and field coach, acknowledged that Aide will be a part of both programs right away.

"From our end, she will definitely be in the pole vault and in the sprints and should make an immediate impact," Melby said. "Her marks from high school would qualify her for our nationals. We are looking forward to her unseating her sister from the national spot."

"We really needed to fill that (setter) position and Abbey can step in a be a leader right away," Lewis said. "She has a ton of experience. I can remember when she was our ball girl. She knows what she needs to do and knows exactly what we are looking for."

Aide was an all-state performer for Bottineau this past season amassing more than 3,500 assists setting the Stars assists record. At the 2008 State Track and Field meet, Aide cleared 11-feet-6 to earn a state title as a junior.

"Abbey is a great team leader and has a great work ethic," Melby said. "I am sure everyone is probably familiar with the name 'Abbey Aide' and what she has accomplished at Bottineau. I have been able to see her in competitions and practice and she is the type of athlete we have strived to get here at Minot State. She will help build our team - a huge benefit to our program."

While Aide felt being close to home was important, she also acknowledged having Lewis, Melby and her dad as coaches made the decision easier.

"These two," she said pointing to Lewis and Melby when asked what made her decision. "I am very excited to play volleyball for Johnna. I had her as a coach in high school and it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to pole vault in Minot. It was pretty stressful (the recruiting process), but being close to home helped a lot. My sister (Katie) helped and dad is here and I have known Johnna and Stu for a while. It made (MSU) more comfortable."

The Beavers volleyball team has picked up three important recruits over the past month as Class B Senior Athlete of the Year Keri Nelson of Kenmare and former Williston standout and University of Mary transfer Leah Wesoloski join Aide.

"Everything has kind of fallen into place," Lewis said. "Everyone we have worked to get or wanted to get has shown interest. Abbey is a big signing for us. We need someone at her position and someone who can be a leader right away and she has always been that on every team she is on."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/d ... 31393.html

DRC/Barron Ludlum
Argyle senior Jessica Bonfield, center, is flanked by her parents, Kim and Tom Bonfield, and her grandfather, Cliff Landeon, rear, as she signs with Texas A&M on Wednesday.
View larger More photos Photo store
“I can go on and on,” Olsen said.

It was that kind of career for the multisport star who could have competed at the college level in basketball, volleyball or track and field.

But in the end, Bonfield chose track and field because her love for the sport, and for Texas A&M, may be just as thick as her resume.

She will compete in the pole vault for the nation’s top women’s track and field program.

“It feels good to officially be an Aggie,” she said. “It is nice to know that I am able to go where I want to and get to do something that I enjoy.”

Bonfield said she has always wanted to be an Aggie. Her love for the school started when she was a fan of its soccer program when she was young. It also helped that her sister, Christina, is currently enrolled at Texas A&M on a full academic scholarship. She graduates in May.

Bonfield started her interest in the pole vault the summer before her freshman year during a track summer camp.

“It was different because I am left-handed,” she said. “Every-thing is backwards. It was a lot harder to see and try because the coaches had never coached left-handers.”

Bonfield’s hard work has paid off. Last season she finished fourth at the state meet in Austin after she won the regional meet with a height of 11-6, a school and regional record.

“Once she gets to the collegiate level in their training program and weight program and focuses on one sport, it will help her develop quickly,” Olsen said. “She has not had a chance to focus on it like she will in college.”

Texas A&M has a history of good pole vaulters. Its latest to shine was 2002 graduate Erica Bartolina, who qualified for the Olympics in Beijing last summer.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”