Class of 2009 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Class of 2009 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:47 am

http://archive.theday.com/re.aspx?re=f4 ... 19d5f9142c

Up, Up And Away
By Vickie Fulkerson Published on 7/5/2009

NFA's Kim Johnson set the ECC record (11 feet 6 inches) on May 23 at Ledyard, then cleared 12 feet to break the state record later in the season. Johnson will continue her career at Southern Connecticut State University.

Kim Johnson's mother, Kellie, was waiting for her for dinner one night when Johnson went to drop something off at her pole vault coach's house.

When she came back, Johnson announced she was going to attend Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven in the fall to compete in track and field, something of which she didn't have an inkling when she left home.

”She said, 'You've only been gone 20 minutes, how are you going to Southern?'” Johnson said. “My mom didn't think I was going to college at this point. ... I like to be a little independent.”

What happened that day was that Johnson, an 18-year-old senior at Norwich Free Academy whom Southern coach Chris Covert would later call “fearless,” found a spot to compete next year that was close to home and with just about all her expenses paid by virtue of athletics, academics and financial aid.

The state record-holder in the pole vault at 12 feet, Johnson originally wanted to go to Villanova and did not apply anyplace else, but didn't get enough of a scholarship there to be able to afford the price tag.

She then turned her attention to Cuesta College, a community college in California with a pole vault coach - Jan Johnson - who was the men's bronze medalist in the 1972 Olympics. Because it was a community college, however, Kim would have had to pay for her own apartment and food.

She came home from a visit there, by herself and with three layovers along the way, still unaffiliated and to a somewhat irritated guidance counselor at NFA who wanted to know what Johnson was going to do then.

”I was dead,” Johnson said.

Then came the day she was late for dinner.

Johnson's pole vault coach, Russ VerSteeg, suggested Johnson call the Southern coach and tell him of her dilemma.

Covert was on the road to NFA by 5:30 the next morning and Johnson had her acceptance by that afternoon.

”She's very aggressive and pretty fearless,” Covert said of Johnson. “With her event, you can't really be afraid of anything and she's not afraid of many things.”

Johnson was named the 2009 Coca-Cola Connecticut Field Athlete of the Year at the recent all-state banquet.

She is the two-time Class LL and State Open pole vault champion and The Day's two-time Girls' Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Year, with a pair of State Open titles there, as well. She is also The Day's 2009 Girls' Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Year.

It is the independent streak of which she speaks, however, that perhaps best portrays Johnson as the kid with the personality that stretches from Norwich to New Haven, not just Johnson the competitor.

”I like to talk,” Johnson, a Lisbon resident, said with a smile. “I would talk to people in the grocery store when I was little and they'd say, 'OK, little kid.'”

At the same time, she carries herself graciously enough so that teammate Kaylan Pickford said the pole vault team is friends with all the rest of the vaulters in the area.

Johnson has often mentioned her mother's dedication to raising her and 16-year-old sister Lauren as a single parent, always finding a way to come up with a $100 pair of track shoes when Kim needs them.

She also pays tribute to her coaches, saying she'd like to be one someday.

”The people I look up to, I want to be like,” Johnson said.

Johnson admits to being nervous at first to attend NFA, mainly due to the sheer volume of students. Similarly, she's hesitant about what life at the college level will bring.

But she discovered her niche once.

Now she's found a spot to continue what she started.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:15 pm

http://www.eudoranews.com/news/2009/jul ... it-hoover/

Cheerleading, track right fit for Hoover

By Jeff Deters

July 22, 2009

For Allison Hoover, cheering on the Eudora Cardinals was something she took pride in both on the track and on the sidelines.

Hoover, who graduated from Eudora in May, was a cheerleader last fall and was a key member of Eudora’s track and field team this spring and took home a third-place medal in pole vault at the state meet in Wichita. Hoover also attended a cheerleading camp last summer in Columbia, Mo., and was one of two girls who won a leadership award.

Hoover said being a cheerleader for the Cardinals was an enjoyable experience.

“It was more the team atmosphere and just being around all the girls mostly,” Hoover said. “I enjoyed cheerleading because the whole point of it is to pump up your school and pump up your fans and get everyone excited to see whomever you are cheering for. I also liked it because it was a good way to spend time with your friends.”

Hoover said there wasn’t really a competition for the leadership award, but rather the camp administrators gave the awards to the two people who showed a great deal of leadership and potential.

“They just keep their eye open for people who maybe have good potential,” Hoover said. “Or maybe something just sticks out to them that they like a lot, and they take that into consideration.”

Hoover had to do a variety of cheers and also had to attend stunt, cheer, chant and motion classes at camp. Hoover said she didn’t expect to win the award.

“For one, I completely forget about the award,” Hoover said. “We don’t compete for it, so it’s not like I was trying to get it. But it really surprised me.”

With her cheerleading and track days at EHS behind her, Hoover will attend Cowley College this fall and compete in pole vault on the track and field team. Hoover, who set the EHS school record in pole vault by clearing 10-feet, 6-inches, begins practice for Cowley on Aug. 18 and the team’s first meet is in January.

“I’m very much looking forward to it,” Hoover said. “I can’t wait to go to college. I’m so excited to get back into track and to see a whole different atmosphere other than high school track. College track is a different type of competitiveness.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:43 pm

http://www.idahopress.com/sports/?id=25223

Crusaders add six to track & field

NAMPA — Northwest Nazarene track & field coach John Spatz signed six athletes to letters of commitment.

Nampa Christian graduate Chelsea Barr — who won four consecutive 2A state titles in the pole vault, and another two titles this season, 100-meters and 200-meters — joins the Crusaders this fall as key cog in the program.

"Chelsea will play a big role in moving the vault program to the top of the conference in the GNAC, and onto the national stage," Spatz said in a statement.

Also joining NNU are the following athletes: Jessica Case, Carly Dranginis (Skyview High School), Brandon Humble (Middleton High School), Elmer Williams and Bruno Bennett.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm

http://www.westport-news.com/sports/ci_13066323

Sitver starts Lady Trojan trends, will compete for Cornell

By Eliot Schickler
Posted: 08/14/2009 01:03:01 AM EDT

By Eliot Schickler
eschickler@bcnnew.com

Julie Sitver started a pole vaulting trend for the Weston High girls indoor and outdoor track teams. A senior tri-captain before graduating in June ,she was All-SWC in the pole vault all four years and All-State in it her first three years. Before she arrived, Weston didn't score much in this event but for the past four years, beginning with her arrival, the Lady Trojans dominated the pole vault in dual, SWC and State meets.

"I didn't know what pole vaulting was when I got to high school but [Matt] Medve, [head Weston boys and girls indoor track and girls outdoor track coach] said my gymnastics background would help me in it," recalls Sitver. "[Pole vaulting] Coach [Tim] Drummond is a great coach and the inter-team competition with Ann [Lupo], Emily [Ando] and Kiki [Litvak] helped."

The Lady Trojans enjoyed unparalleled success the last four years, winning SWCs each year, Class S during the indoor season the last three years and Class M during the 2008 outdoor track season. Sitver played a major role in all those triumphs.

"Julie had a great high school career and is a great kid," says Medve. "The senior class set a

Advertisement

tradition to the level of competition. We'll miss her a lot and she's one more person's shoes we'll have to fill."
She had a personal best 11-6 this year at the SWC championships during the indoor season and finished second in the meet. Sophomore year, she won SWCs and Class S during the indoor season.

"There are so many different steps for pole vaulting and different movements," says Sitver. "You have to do it one step at a time and my running background helped with it. I also like to win."

Medve says, "A lot of her training came from Tim Drummond. She tried to work on her speed and put in the time and tried to become the best pole vaulter she could be."

Knowing what she wanted to accomplish and her desire to follow through in this endeavor contributed to her success. Spending time in the weight room also helped.

"What helped Julie succeed in the long run was her determination and focus," says Drummond. "She set goals and wanted to work hard to achieve them. She always stayed to work on things and she worked hard."

Most athletes suffer through slumps, especially in complex events like the pole vault and she wasn't an exception to the rule. Her ability to dig her way out of these rough patches further contributed to her success.

"It happens to everyone and I try not to think about it," says Sitver. "It's mental. Sometimes, I have a rough day and there's nothing I can do about it. Usually, I get myself out of it by doing what I've been doing and I don't think about it."

Pole vaulting wasn't her only event and she contributed as a sprinter as well. She ran the 200-meter dash, 400 meters and a leg with of the 4x100 and 4x400-meter relay teams or whatever Medve needed her to do.

"Medve definitely knew the workout I needed to do for sprinting," says Sitver. The weight room helped a lot and I spent a lot of time there. We have a wonderful group of girls on the team and it helped running with them."

Her involvement in track was accidental. When she joined the indoor team freshman year, she did so to get ready for lacrosse, a sport she was hoping to try. Once she experienced success in the pole vault, she saw it was better for her than lacrosse and gave up her original plan in favor of outdoor track. She is pleased with the decision and it worked out for the best.

In addition to track, she also contributed to Weston's field hockey program all four years as well. The team recognized her leadership and chose her to be a co-captain senior year.

"I enjoyed doing a sport every season in high school and I can't imagine not doing a sport in either season," says Sitver. "I enjoyed the success my team experienced and I enjoyed working with my teammates and co-captains."

Freshman year, she decided to play field hockey for the first time because it seemed like fun for her and she was happy with her decision. She was an offensive player for the team and contributed to the attack.

"We had some good coaching from [Lady Trojans head coach Erin] Mehner and we did a lot of offensive drills," says Sitver. "[Classmate] Emily Lewis was a good player and so was Ali Atkinson [Class '08]. Watching them play helped a lot."

She began doing gymnastics at age 3 but stopped after eighth grade because she hurt her back. The uneven bars was her favorite event and she won her share of medals at the New England championships and at many other big meets.

"It was hard giving it up because I did it for a long time but I thought high school was a time to try new things and it worked out fine," says Sitver.

Growing up, she played some softball and tennis as well but not extensively.

Leadership is another strength of hers as she served as captain all three seasons. She guided her teammates by example through her work ethic and verbally by encouraging and communicating with her teammates.

'I had a lot of fun being captain all three seasons," says Sitver. "I enjoyed working with my co-captains, Emily [Lewis in field hockey], Rebecca [Fine] and Emma [Tobin, both did both track seasons]. I'm glad I was able to apply what I learned all four years in the sports and have a leadership role in them."

Academically, she took AP and honors courses. The sciences, especially biology, are her favorite subjects.

"Sports helped a lot and I was pretty structured," says Sitver. "When I came home, I didn't procrastinate because I knew I had to get my work done."

This fall, she'll be attending Cornell University. She's undecided about her career plans but will pole vault for the women's track team.

"I'll miss field hockey but I'll be preoccupied being on the track team," says Sitver.

In order to compete for Cornell, she will have to raise her performance to the next level. Her short term goal is to leap 12 feet.

"I hear Cornell's coaches are great," says Sitver. "I have to get faster and stronger and if I learn from the Cornell athletes, I'll be able to jump higher."

Drummond will miss her and has the utmost confidence that she'll succeed there.

"She was pleasant to work with," says Drummond. "As long as she continues to focus and put the work in, she'll be a great addition to their track program."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/c-tr ... 09aaa.html

Smith Announces 2009 Signing Class

Group includes nine men and 23 women.

Aug. 13, 2009

NORMAN, Okla. — The University of Oklahoma’s Track and Field program expanded considerably Thursday as head coach Martin Smith announced the signing of 23 student-athletes, nine men and 14 women, to close out the 2009 class of newcomers. The class encompasses 13 states from across the U.S. as well as one athlete from Norway. Of the 23, 17 will be freshmen for the 2010 season while six transfer to the Oklahoma program from previous collegiate institutions.

The class is broken down on the men’s side by five distance athletes, two sprinters and one each in the pole vault and throws areas. On the women’s side, four athletes will compete in the multis followed by three jumpers, two each in distance, pole vault and throws and one in the sprints.

“This group of student-athletes exemplifies the type of talent and drive we look for in our quest for a Big 12 Championship,” said Smith. “We like the caliber of athletes in this group and we like the attitudes they bring to Norman, both on and off the track. These athletes are proven winners on their previous levels of competition and we expect them to remain on that plateau of excellence.”

Full list of 2009 Oklahoma signees:

Jacy Bennett – Pole Vault – Mesa, Ariz. (Mountain View HS)
Christina Flandrick – Pole Vault – Somerset, Wis. (Somerset HS)
Jonathan Webb – Pole Vault – Moore, Okla. (Moore HS)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:39 pm

http://www.etsubucs.com/sports/track/re ... E_ID=11751

ETSU track and field announces 2009-10 recruiting class
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Aug. 6, 2009) – Coming off one of the best ETSU track and field seasons in program history, head coach David E. Walker and his staff announced its recruiting class for the upcoming campaign on Thursday afternoon.

The Bucs, whose men’s squad was one of five Division I programs to win a Triple Crown in 2008-09, features a loaded class of 11 student-athletes whom will represent ETSU in women’s throws, long and triple jump, men’s multis, pole vault, long and triple jump, middle distances and sprints.

“This incoming class will bolster our scoring potential with the diversity and competitiveness they bring in different event areas,” commented ETSU associate head coach and recruiting coordinator Michelle Byrne. “This class has the ability to impact the overall cross country and track and field programs at ETSU, as we are bringing in a core group of athletes in the throws, jumps and multis along with additional depth in the sprints and distances.”

Below is a capsule of each incoming Buccaneer along with a quote from their coach.

Men
Les Gilbert – Pole Vault/Multis – Franklin, Tenn. (Page High School)
Gilbert, the 2009 Tennessee state champion in the decathlon, is a AAU All-American with a personal best of 6099 points … the Franklin, Tenn. native also holds PRs of 121-00 in the discus, 14-00 in the pole vault, 6-00 in the high jump, and 155-04 in the javelin … Gilbert helped his high school team to a 14th place finish at the state meet this year, as their only competitor … the multi-talented athlete scored in the top six in the decathlon, pole vault, triple jump and 300m hurdles at the Tennessee state meet … Gilbert will not only help the Bucs tremendously in the multi event, but also in the pole vault and javelin.

Coach Sunquist on Gilbert – “Les is a tremendous athlete who comes from a great training background. He worked with Olympic Decathlete Gary Kinder in high school, and has learned from one of the best. I am extremely excited to see what Les can do at the next level, and it will be neat to seem him duke it out with Nic and Jordan next year. Les has a tremendous attitude and competitive spirit. I am quite excited to see what he can do for us in the years to come.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 am

http://www.cowleytigers.com/mtrack/gall ... ges/1.html

July 2, 2009

Tigers sign pole vaulter from Texas

Looking to make up for the loss of three pole vaulters to graduation, the Cowley College men’s track and field team signed Michael McLeod of Denton, Texas to a letter of intent on Thursday.

McLeod, who attended Billy Ryan High School, posted some impressive marks in the pole vault prior to suffering a foot injury that cut short his senior season. McLeod has a personal besr mark of 15-feet-6 inches in the pole vault.

Cowley head coach Mark Phillips was happy to get McLeod to sign with the Tigers and thinks he will be able to help ease some of the sting from losing sophomores Willy Lucero, Colziah Jones, and Mark Butler.

“He gives us a legitimate vault guy that can go after a region championship,” Phillips said. “He is very similar to David Starnes, who won a national championship for us. We are pretty excited about getting him.”

McLeod was ecstatic to sign with a school that has enjoyed tremendous success in its track and field program.

“I couldn’t ask for much more, this is everything I need,” McLeod said. “They have great facilities and they welcomed me and made me feel wanted here. I look forward to working with others that take the sport as seriously as I do.”

McLeod has learned to manage the pain in his foot and is looking forward to returning to competition.

“I am hungrier than ever and can’t wait to make up for lost time,” McLeod said. “I want to contribute to the team, get back to where I was (before the injury), and continue to improve.”

McLeod plans on majoring in sports fitness or kinesiology.
Pictured with McLeod are his father, Cliff, mother, Janie, and Cowley head track and field coach Mark Phillips.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 am

http://daytona.embryriddlesports.com/Vi ... =204766585

Men's Track and Field Adds 10 to 2010 Lineup
Courtesy: Rachel Ridder, Sports Information Assistant
Release: 07/29/2009

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The Embry-Riddle men’s track and field team will add a multitude of depth and talent to their 2009-10 roster, as Head Coach Mike Rosolino announced the signing of 10 new athletes for the upcoming season.

A 2009 graduate of Western High School, Chris Harter joins the Eagle family from Kokomo, Ind., adding strength to the team as a gifted pole vaulter. During his high school career, Carter vaulted 14’6”, giving him the potential and opportunity to be a great asset to the 2009 track team at Embry-Riddle.

“Chris is an outstanding pole vaulter. He will provide great depth to what is quickly becoming one of the strengths on our men’s team. He has the potential to be a national qualifier within his first two years. We have great expectations for him.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:20 pm

http://ascgrizzlies.com/article.asp?articleID=3474

Marquez signs to vault with Grizzlies
May 31, 2009
by Eric R. Flores
ALAMOSA, Colo.— Adams State College track and field associate head coach John Wallin has announced that Alamosa High School graduate Kendra Marquez has signed a National Letter of Intent to be a pole vaulter for the Grizzlies, starting in 2009-10.
Marquez, the daughter of former Adams State pole vaulter and current Dean of Student Affairs, Kenneth Marquez, just won her first ever state championship title on May 16 after setting a personal record with a clearance of 11 feet.
All four years of high school, Marquez was an all-state performer for the Mean Moose under head coach Larry Zaragoza and her event coach and father.
While a Mean Moose, Marquez was an utility asset as she competed in many events including the 100 and 200-meter dashes, the pole vault and the long jump. She was also valuable for Zaragoza’s use in the 4x100, 4x200 and 800-meter sprint medley relays.
“I’m very proud of what she did in high school,” said Zaragoza. “Here we have a little pole vaulter who started off at seven feet and captured a state title four feet higher. She was a fighter and she always had great speed.”
With her state championship victory, Marquez improved upon her AHS record of 10 feet, 8 inches by four inches.
Marquez also helped lead the Moose to two regional championships.
“I am extremely excited about vaulting for Adams next year,” said Marquez. “They have such an amazing program and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
There were many reasons that Marquez to chose to come to Adams State but one of the main reasons was “I get to be close to home and my family.” But the biggest thing that drove her to become a Grizzly was “my dad vaulted for Adams so it’s really neat to get to have that in common with him,” Marquez said.
Marquez will be the first women’s pole vaulter the Grizzlies have had since Melissa Burns in 2006. Burns set the indoor school record of 10 feet, 8 inches in 2006 and also holds the outdoor record of 10 feet, 6 inches, set in 2005.
"We are very excited to have Kendra joining our program,” said Wallin. "She is a very dynamic and explosive athlete that will give us a lot of options.”
Aside from being an athlete Marquez also excelled in the class room and in FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). Marquez held a 3.75 high school GPA while qualifying for state four times in FBLA competition. To add to those accolades, Marquez qualified for the FBLA National competition.
Marquez plans to be a business major at Adams State.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”