Class of 2009 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Class of 2009 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:01 pm

From Dyestat (who is lumping pole vaulters with jumpers which is annoying, so I am sure I will miss a lot)

Chase Cooper (CO) to Air Force

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Another from Milesplit:

FL
Vani, Mike Merritt Island HS University of South Florida 2009-02-06 PV

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:04 pm

http://www.graphic-online.com/index.php ... &Itemid=41

Holland Now A Cavalier
Sports

WRITTEN BY DAVID WOLMAN
WEDNESDAY, 11 FEBRUARY 2009 08:00
On a day dominated by high school football, Prairie View senior Madison Holland signed a letter of intent with Johnson County Community College to pole vault last Wednesday.
Madison Holland (sitting, center) is joined by her parents, Angie and Mike, and (standing, from left) Prairie View coaches James Burke, Walter Vandeventer and Diana Oborny. (Photo by David Wolman)

“I just like the school and it was close to home, and their vaulting coach vaulted for KU for four years,” Holland said.

Holland is referring to Johnson County assistant coach Kate Sultanova, who is a four-time NCAA Division I All-American and a three-time Big 12 champion in the pole vault (indoor/outdoor), while at the University of Kansas from 2005 to 2008. Sultanova has placed as high as third (twice) at the NCAA Championships and recorded four top 10 finishes. At the 2004 Russian Championships, she cleared a height of 13 feet, 5.25 inches to place first.

Holland has been taking private lessons with Sultanova every Monday and Wednesday for the past month. In that short amount of time, Holland says she’s learned a lot about the techniques of pole vaulting from Sultanova.
“She’s really patient and is close to my age,” said Holland, who plans to major in physical therapy.

Holland’s personal best in the pole vault is 9 feet. Sultanova has already seen improvement from Holland.
“She already has been improving her pole vault skills significantly at camps that she has been attending,”
Sultanova said. “She would like to break her school record, and I’ve been helping her to achieve that. Two JCCC pole vaulters who have trained with me already achieved qualifier marks in the NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association).”

Johnson County head coach Mike Bloemker is excited about the potential Holland has.

“Madison should be able to improve with Kate’s help,” Bloemker said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:16 pm

http://www.houstonconews.com/articles/2 ... stever.txt

Stever heading to South Alabama

Lancer pole vaulter earns scholarship to Division I program

By Dave Myers, for the Houston County News

La Crescent High School pole vaulting standout Shannon Ste-ver has accepted an NCAA Division I scholarship offer to attend the University of South Alabama.

The scholarship will cover 44 percent of her total expenses, which includes about $10,000 a year in tuition.

In addition, Stever, who will focus solely on the pole vault for the Jaguars’ track team, also will receive a $3,500 academic scholarship.

So it should come as no surprise that academics, more so than athletics, were what drew Stever to the University of South Alabama.

"I was looking for a strong nursing program, and they have the fourth-largest program in the country," Stever said. "After all, academics are why we’re in school in the first place, aren’t they?"

The fact the school is 927 miles south of La Crescent in Mobile, Ala., didn’t hurt either.

"It’s really warm, and I was looking for a completely new experience," Stever said.

Stever even received a phone call from the folks at the Uni-versity of South Alabama a couple of weeks ago when the temperatures in our area were about 40 degrees below zero, reminding her just how different things are in Mobile.

Stever, who has been pole vaulting for five years, considered offers from NCAA Division II Minnesota State University, Mankato, and the University of Minnesota, but ultimately felt the University of South Alabama was the best fit.

"When I visited I really felt like I belonged there," Stever said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

From Dyestatcal:

Mattoon, Emily ((Rancho Bernardo, San Diego-SDS) pole vault - Duke University
Peterson, Michael (Clovis East, Clovis-CE) pole vault - UC Davis

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:40 am

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0209/594518.html

Nelson Co., VA - Nelson County pole vault standout Kate Collins made her college intentions official Thursday. The senior signed with VMI. Collins is the first female from Nelson County to earn an athletic scholarship to VMI. She's cleared 11 feet, 9 inches, second-best in the state in all high school classifications, 14th best in the nation.

And what makes her accomplishments even more special is Single-A schools, like Nelson, don't even have pole vaulting in their track and field meets, so Collins hits the road to Richmond on Tuesday and Thursday to practice vaulting two-and-a-half hours. She also goes to Charlottesville two or three mornings at 7 o'clock and practices before coming back to school. That kind of time management and dedication will serve Collins well at VMI.

Kate Collins, Signs with VMI - "I feel like it was a really good fit for me. I've always been one of those people that always likes to work hard. And when I work hard I feel like I can see my success in everything I do. And, you know, I visited other schools, but I felt like the coaching staff and the team and everything just felt right when I was on post, is what they call it."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 am

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/ ... -michigan/

Stockbridge's Watson to pole vault at Central Michigan
Citizen Patriot staff, February 12, 2009 5:19 p.m.

The Jackson area's top high school girls pole vaulter is taking her high-flying act to Central Michigan University.

Christina Watson of Stockbridge is expected to sign a letter of intent today for a partial scholarship to attend Central Michigan. Watson finished third at the last two Division 3 state meets and set a school record in the regional with a vault of 11 feet.

"It's exciting," said Watson, who is competing in indoor track this winter. "I was a little bit surprised to get the offer."

Watson also won the Selby Memorial Meet, was champion of the Southern Michigan Activities Association, and was a member of the state-champion 1,600-meter relay team.

"She's got the work ethic to really succeed in college," Stockbridge coach Jeff Trapp said. "She's been jumping consistently around 11 feet, and she's got the strength to get to 12 feet in college."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:22 pm

http://www.triplicate.com/2009021210507 ... ra-in-fall

Duncan signs to attend UC Santa Barbara in fall

Written by Bill Choy, The Triplicate February 12, 2009 09:35 am

Taylor Duncan signs his letter of intent to accept a track and field scholarship to the University of California, Santa Barbara during a signing ceromony at Del Norte High School on Wednesday night. The Daily Triplicate/Bryant Anderson
Del Norte High School three-sport athlete Taylor Duncan signed a letter of intent on Wednesday to accept a track and field scholarship to the Univ ersity of California, Santa Bar bara, a Division 1-A program.

Duncan made it to state in the pole vault last year as a junior and set the Big 5 Conference record in the event with a jump of 14.4 feet.

He was the Warriors’ starting quarterback last fall and is currently a starter on the boys basketball team.

“It’s cool,” Duncan said. “It’s a hard school to get into.”

Duncan received a partial track and field scholarship to  Santa Barbara. Del Norte head track and field coach Scott Lindsay said this is normal for track and field, adding it’s rare to receive a full-ride scholarship in the sport.

The scholarship is incentive-based, which means the better Duncan does, the more scholarship funds he earns.

“I kind of like it,” Duncan said. “It’s something to work toward.”

Duncan was told by the Gaucho coaches that they like the athletic ability he has shown throughout high school andcurrently plan to have him compete in the decathlon and the pole vault.

“He’s a multi-talented guy” Lindsay said. Coaches at UC Santa Barbara told him they look for multi-sport athletes such as Duncan to compete in the decathlon, which requires competing in 10 events.

This includes the long jump, shot put, javelin, the 1,500 meter dash and the pole vault.

“I’m very excited for him,” Lindsay said. “Every year since he was in his freshman year he has had the idea that track was a way for him to get a scholarship. It’s nice to see him fulfill his dream.”

Duncan said he’s excited to begin his senior year in track this spring at Del Norte and is focused on doing well and going back to state. Last year he battled a quadriceps injury, yet was still able to make it to state.

“I just want to keep on working hard and get better,” he said about the upcoming season.

When he visited UC Santa Barbara, Duncan said he was impressed with the institutions academics and the beauty of the campus and the town.

“I liked the vibe. It was really happy,” Duncan said. “It’s right by the beach and is always sunny.”

During track season, Lindsay said he will try to get Duncan to compete in some events he normally has not attempted in high school meets to better prepare him for the decathlon, such as the shot put.

“Competing in the decathlon is a lot of hard work,” Lindsay said, adding getting used to events Duncan has not done as much in high school will better prepare him on the college level.

“I think I can do it,” Duncan said about the decathlon. “I need to get better in each event. I need to get pretty good in all of them. It will be something new.”

Duncan plans to study history in college and hopes to become a teacher as well as a coach once he graduates.

“We’re very proud of him,”  said his father, Troy Duncan. “I’m excited to watch him compete for another four years.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:00 pm

http://www.nelsoncountytimes.com/nco/sp ... hip/13592/

Senior Kate Collins signed a letter of intent to attend Virginia Military Institute at Nelson County High School Feb. 12. Collins became the first Governor female athlete to receive a full scholarship from VMI.

“I felt like the coaching staff, the team and everything just felt right when I was on post,” Collins said.

“I’ve always been one of those people that likes to work hard, and when I work hard I feel I can see my success in everything I do.”

Collins signed the official papers surrounded by family, friends, school administrators and many coaches, including gymnastics coach Kathleen Walsh. Collins’ love of gymnastics was one of the reasons she tried pole vault, as well as one of the reasons she excels in the event.

Collins tried pole vault as a sophomore, and quickly developed a passion that led her to join two vaulting clubs: Richmond’s Xtreme Heights and Western Albemarle’s Vertical Vaulters.

Collins traveled almost every weekday before or after school to one of the two clubs.

“She’s an amazing athlete,” said Western Albemarle coach Kevin Matheny. “She still hasn’t reached her potential.”

“I think because of the school she chose, the support is going to be huge for her success.”

Recently Collins set a new school and personal record: 11 feet, 9 inches. She’s ranked second in the Virginia and 19th nationally.

The irony for Collins is that Group A does not sanction pole vault, so she has competed in numerous invitationals against Group AA and AAA athletes. She’s treated each meet as its own championship.

“She is not only a great student with a dynamic personality, involved in numerous extracurricular activities, balancing a tight schedule,” VMI’s future coach, Darrin Webb said, “but she has also worked extremely hard to become the No. 2 pole vaulter in the state.

“Kate wanted to be good, so she drove numerous miles, sought out outstanding coaching and had the perseverance to succeed.”

In her most recent meet Collins showed promise among college competition. She placed first in the Liberty University Quad Meet Feb. 13 as an unattached high school entry. She cleared 11-6 to beat athletes from Liberty, JMU, Elon and her soon-to-be school, VMI.

“We feel Kate will lead by example, fit in with our team, and only improve over time,” VMI assistant coach and recruiter David Scott said.

“In the VMI environment, Kate can flourish.”

Collins can continue to compete in any open meets, high school or college, through the school year.

In mid-March, she’ll be competing in the national high school meet in New York City, with the goal to become an All-American.

Collins will continue to compete in numerous running events with her Gov team at the state indoor meet and through the outdoor season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 pm

http://www.uwbadgers.com/mobile/mobile_ ... ryID=16889

Elite preps highlight Badgers' recruiting class

MADISON, Wis.

The reigning national cross country runner of the year highlights a group of nine student-athletes who have signed to compete for the Wisconsin men’s track and field program in 2009-10, a class announced Wednesday by UW head coach Ed Nuttycombe.

“This group is an excellent start to what’s going to be a very solid recruiting year,” said Nuttycombe, who is in his 26th season at the helm of the UW program. “With the quality and diversity of talent we have assembled so far, I think it’s our best class in a number of years.”

Also signing are pole vaulter Mick Viken of Arlington Heights, Ill., and jumper/pole vaulter Japheth (Joseph) Cato of Chicago Heights, Ill.

“This group really adds strength to several areas of our field events program,” Nuttycombe said. “Marcus has the ability to make an instant impact for us in the long jump, as well as the sprints, and it’s clear to our coaching staff that both Mick and Japheth have nearly unlimited potential in the vault.

Mick Viken
Pole Vault
Arlington Heights, Ill. (Rolling Meadows)

Notable: Consistent 16-foot vaulter … finished third at 2007 USATF Junior Olympics

Viken comes to the Wisconsin program having already proven his ability to consistently jump over 16 feet in the pole vault.

In his first three years of high school competition, Viken owns a personal-best clearance of 16 feet, 6 inches, which he achieved last year on his way to winning the Windy City Pole Vault Invitational.

Also during his junior season, Viken jumped 16-4 to score a runner-up finish at the 2008 Illinois Prep Top Times Indoor Classic and went on to finish fifth at the Illinois Class AA state championships by clearing 15-3. He also earned a ninth-place finish at state as a freshman.

Viken has twice qualified for the USA Track & Field National Junior Olympics, including a third-place finish in 2007, and he also qualified for the 2008 USATF Junior National Championships. He also cleared 15-8 at the 2008 National Pole Vault Summit in Reno, Nev.

Japheth (Joseph) Cato
Multi-Events
Chicago Heights, Ill. (Bloom Township)

Notable: Owns personal-bests of 15-6 in the pole vault and 23-1 1/2 in the long jump

A versatile athlete who has found success in the pole vault, long jump and sprints, Cato will bring added depth to the Badgers’ multi-event group.

Cato, who qualified for the Illinois Class AA state championships in both the long jump and pole vault in 2008, also took second at last year’s Illinois Prep Top Times meet by leaping 22-7 1/2 in the long jump.

He later posted a personal-best 23-1 1/2 to take runner-up honors at the USA Track & Field Illinois Junior Olympics and went on to finish 13th at the 2008 USATF National Junior Olympics with a mark of 22-10 1/2.

Cato claimed conference titles in the vault and the 400 meters as a junior last season, while winning a sectional championship in the long jump and finishing second in the vault to qualify for the state meet in both events.

So far this season, Cato has cleared a personal-best height of 15-6 in the pole vault, as he claimed a runner-up finish at the Ted Haydon Holiday Classic in December.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

http://www.recordernewspapers.com/artic ... 964671.txt

FINKEL PICKS IRISH: Montville pole vaulter signs letter of intent

Chrissy Finkel, a senior at Montville High School, signed a national letter of intent to attend Notre Dame University, where she will receive a partial athletic scholarship to pole vault on the Irish track team. Photo by Warren Westura
Published: Feb 19th, 7:51 PM
MONTVILLE - Montville High School senior Chrissy Finkel will be soaring to new heights at Notre Dame University next fall after signing a national letter of intent at the high school last Wednesday, Feb. 11, to attend college and pole vault at the South Bend, Ind., school.

Notre Dame was a late entry on Finkel’s list of colleges that included Binghamton (SUNY) University, Villanova University and Princeton University.

She mailed out her application to Notre Dame two days before the early Nov. 1 deadline last fall and later made an official visit to the campus where she watched the Irish lose a football game to Syracuse.

She liked the family atmosphere at Notre Dame and surprised herself when she got upset over Notre Dame losing that football game back in November.

Still, she didn’t make her decision until Tuesday, Feb. 3 - the night before the early signing season opened - and that came about after a phone conversation with Notre Dame field-event coach Jim Garnham.

“Notre Dame has a strong personality and a vibrancy to it ... a great energy.” Finkel was quoted as saying after she signed her letter of intent. “It’s a great spirited place that you can’t help but want to be a part of.”

Finkel, who cleared 8-feet in her first meet as a freshman, has a personal best of 12-7.5 which she cleared last winter at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 am

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/h ... uit/13672/

Pole vaulter Collins Nelson’s first female VMI recruit
Photo

Photo by Lee Luther Jr.
Nelson County’s Kate Collins cleared 11 feet, 9 inches at the Mid-Area Track Classic at Liberty University’s Tolsma Indoor Track Center on Jan. 30, ranking her second in the state for any classification this winter. Ironically, Collins, who signed to continue her vaulting career at VMI, won’t be able to compete in the event at Friday’s unofficial Group A state meet at Fork Union Military Academy since the pole vault is not a sanctioned event at that level.
ADVERTISEMENT

Text size: small | medium | large
BY LAURA CLARK
Published: February 20, 2009

Senior Kate Collins signed a letter of intent to attend Virginia Military Institute at Nelson County High School last week. Collins became the first Governor female athlete to receive a full scholarship from VMI.

“I felt like the coaching staff, the team and everything just felt right when I was on post,” Collins said. “I’ve always been one of those people that likes to work hard, and when I work hard I feel I can see my success in everything I do.”

Collins’ love of gymnastics was one of the reasons she tried pole vault, as well as one of the reasons she excels in the event. She first tried pole vault as a sophomore and quickly developed a passion that led her to join two vaulting clubs — Richmond’s Xtreme Heights and Western Albemarle’s Vertical Vaulters. Collins has traveled nearly every weekday before or after school to one of the two clubs.

“She’s an amazing athlete,” Western Albemarle coach Kevin Matheny said. “She still hasn’t reached her potential. I think because of the school she chose, the support is going to be huge for her success.”

Collins recently set a new school and personal record of 11 feet, 9 inches at the Jan. 30 Mid-Area Track Classic hosted by Amherst and Rustburg at Liberty University. She’s now ranked second in the state at any classification and 19th nationally.

The irony for Collins is that Group A does not sanction the pole vault, so she has competed in numerous invitationals against Group AA and AAA athletes. She’s treated each meet as its own championship.

“She is not only a great student with a dynamic personality, involved in numerous extracurricular activities, balancing a tight schedule,” VMI’s future coach, Darrin Webb said, “but she has also worked extremely hard to become the No. 2 pole vaulter in the state. Kate wanted to be good, so she drove numerous miles, sought out outstanding coaching and had the perseverance to succeed.”

In her most recent meet, Collins showed promise among college competition. She placed first in Friday’s LU Quad Meet as an unattached high school entry. She cleared 11-6 to beat athletes from Liberty, JMU and Elon as well as VMI.

Collins can continue to compete in any open meets, high school or college, through the school year. In mid-March, she’ll be competing in the Nike Indoor National meet in Boston, with the goal to become an All-American.

She will continue to compete in numerous running events for Nelson County, including at this Friday’s unofficial Group A state indoor meet hosted by the Governors at Fork Union Military Academy, and throughout the outdoor season.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”